rear shock reposition?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
On my swing arm there are two identical brackets on each side of swing arm.. right now its on the most rear hole. Its a mad max swing arm. I was wondering if I move the shocks to the FWD holes making the shocks more vertical what effects will this have on stiffness / handling??? Im looking for more travel. Im afraid with me and my gf on the bike when I hit a good bump its gonna rip off the tail light... there deffinetly was evidence of the rear wheel rubbing the metal insert in rear fender. So can I move them FWD?

If you're running stock shocks , it probably won't make much of a difference as they are usually replaced on most performance minded maxes.

If you're running stock shocks , it probably won't make much of a difference as they are usually replaced on most performance minded maxes.

there progressive 412... but if you move the bottom mounting position FWD its should raise the rear a little

What is distance difference between eyelets of both locations ? I would look into some better , longer possibly , aftermarket shocks , as the 412 progressives are at the bottom of Progressives food chain for shocks. I ran into a slightly used Ohlins set with reservoirs for $ 500. yesterday . I think he said they fit a 80s model 883 H.D. Sportster , but had 1/2 " eyelet openings / bolts.

I might be thinking about this back-asswards but I believe if you move the shocks closer to the swingarm pivot point/further from the rear wheel axle, it will compress easier. Just like extending the swingarm and leaving the shocks in the stock location would make it compress easier. Just like putting a walnut in the nut cracker...Closer to the pivot, the easier it is to squeeze the handles and crack the nut.

So, my guess is that it would raise the rear end and give you more travel but, make it easier to compress the spring... I think :ummm:

I might be thinking about this back-asswards but I believe if you move the shocks closer to the swingarm pivot point/further from the rear wheel axle, it will compress easier. Just like extending the swingarm and leaving the shocks in the stock location would make it compress easier. Just like putting a walnut in the nut cracker...Closer to the pivot, the easier it is to squeeze the handles and crack the nut.

So, my guess is that it would raise the rear end and give you more travel but, make it easier to compress the spring... I think :ummm:
You are correct, it will raise the rear end, but due to the longer lever arm the suspension will compress a tad easier.

That sounds good to me because right now I have the shocks as stiff as they can go because im afraid of ripping off my tail light.. im gonna move them fwd and see what it does.

The 418's are discontinued (I have one 12.5" set on hand though).

Sean

Well it happened!!! It sink rip off but I worn down the bottom of it now bare wire showing rubbed right threw the plastic light! Gotta break out the rtv or pro seal. :(

Well moving the shocks to the fwd holes wont work the swing arm hits my pipe so im F&#%ED

Is it something we can either bushing up or repair for you? We can likely weld in a solid bushing and make it strong again. You can maybe find someone local to do it too.

Sean

Is it something we can either bushing up or repair for you? We can likely weld in a solid bushing and make it strong again. You can maybe find someone local to do it too.

Sean

this is where im at.. I installed the CBR tail light mod to my bike.. right now with no weight on the bike it has four inches of tail between the bottom of the light and the tire..

2012-05-01_16-54-14_66.jpg

now the bottom rear corner of tail light has been rubbing one the tire when i think just me and the GF ride.. rubbed threw the plastic housing and started rubbing the wires inside the light:bang head:. I can not move my shocks to the FWD mounting point ( which would give me more clearence) because my swing arm hits my exhaust! I have a kirker 4-1 exhaust.. another thing is that the chain is pritty much brand new so the wheel is fully FWD on the swingarm and once the chain starts loosening up and i have tighten it by moving the tire aft there will be even less clearence. Only thing i think i can do is when i buy a new tire find one smaller in diameter or have to go to 17 in rims and I cant afford that right now. Just found out my truck is gonna cost 600 bucks for a new steering box. :bang head:

Yes but then ill have to install turn signals again. I like the way this looks now im boned. Ill think about it more tomorrow

Longer shocks? Not sure what length you are running right now? Struts? I ran them for three years and the ride wasn't as bad as you'd think.

Sean

you can change the spring to a stiffer spring to handle the weight of two up riding, or go with a longer shock for more travel.

You can try making a longer eyelet for the bottom of the shock if you have a screw in type eyelet (Thats what I did to mine) or just make an extension bracket to be able to mount the lower end of the shocks at a different point.

I would have to go with stiffer spring.. I can not go any longer my swing arm will hit my exhaust it will not let me go any longer with the shock.. I got 412 13" on there now I saw on pcw website they sell different spring stiffness 412's ill look into that.. anyone know of air pressure ones? That I can adjust the stiffness with

Back