Rear Tire/Rim: Which look do you like?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekberg

Reaction score
Like many people, I own a VMAX because it looks different from any other bike out there and it looks like the muscle car of bikes. So here's my opinion; when you swap the rear rim for a larger diameter one and add a low profile tire I think it destroys the meaty fat tire muscle car look. (especially from the side view) To each his own but it's not for me. Just wondering about everyone elses opinion.:ummm:

Cheers,
Darren

I was seen some radial conversions that still retain some of the character of the stock wheel and high profile bias ply tire. Others when they go ultra low profile It does take away some of the character. I can't say I would dislike a bike that has a swap to radials. but I also like the look of the stocker, too.

You know me big D, if I could get a Hoosier racing slick to corner I woul already have it mounted.

There's a thread here full of herecy nobody speaks of...the dark arts if you will. DARKSIDING!
Darksiding is using a car tire on your bike... Almost tempted but just can't gety head to agree with the opinion that it "still corners great in canyons" like the reviews say.

My rear tire is the same dia. At 18" as my stock 15." is, but 10 pounds lighter. So I don't really see a difference profile wise. It just beats the hell out of my stock rim and tire performance wise.

17"x4.5" with the stock design... You gotta have radials!
P1040385.jpg

when you swap the rear rim for a larger diameter one and add a low profile tire I think it destroys the meaty fat tire muscle car look. (especially from the side view)

I DO like the look with the large aspect ratio, balloon, bias tire back there. It just seems to be part of the bikes character. There are some bikes out there that have a set of radials thrown on and when you look at it you feel like something is missing. There are a lot of other bikes that look really great though. Not sure what one guy does that the other did not. Maybe 17-vs 18, or lowered shocks?

Im putting on 17's so hopefully mine will look ok when its all done. Whatever it lacks in aspect ratio, it will gain in handling

Visual opinions will vary in direct proportion to the number of opinions offered . Performance gain is also many times in the head of the rider , as we can't all have access to the professional instruments required to measure our improvements. Hence , a forum dedicated to the bike we own and admire. From stock to wild , somewhere we find what works , in our head.

17 - 180 w/ Lightcon 17 - 190 w/ KawZX 7R
Michelin Pilot Power Michelin P.P. 2CT

Attachments

• 7-19-11 200.jpg
    7-19-11 200.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 7-19-11 277.jpg
    7-19-11 277.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 46
kosman 17"x5.5", with an '85 core.

my cazz 18x3.5 front is awesome but would LOVE to have had a matchinging rear, but since its not available its a close second. a 18x3.5 1985 front vmax conversion or a 18x3.5 venture front rim would be SICK (the three vented spoke look).

Attachments

• 2010-10-04 18.31.46.jpg
    2010-10-04 18.31.46.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2010-10-04 18.32.05.jpg
    2010-10-04 18.32.05.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2010-10-20 17.35.04.jpg
    2010-10-20 17.35.04.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2010-10-28 21.02.41.jpg
    2010-10-28 21.02.41.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
I like Cycle One Off's 17 black, 3 spoke with shorter shocks. I can get two radials for about $100.

rearwheel2.jpg

rearwheel1.jpg

I like Cycle One Off's 17 black, 3 spoke with shorter shocks. I can get two radials for about $100.

rearwheel2.jpg

rearwheel1.jpg

which ones are $100?!?!?!

Call me old school but I like the stock wheel with the 170-80................Tom.

the look isn't too bad, but a nice fat 190 on the rear is awesome, plus one ride on radials and you could change your tune eh?

Damn! Missed it.
If anyone sees a good deal like that let me know. I wouldn't mind saving a few $$'s on tires.

Still waiting on my wheel from Tom so I'm not sure if I will be able to stuff a 190 in there or not. It will be close. But, if something comes up that cheap I'll just get a 180 for now and play it safe

Thanks for the link Mark.

Mike, probably will need to remove the diff if you get a 190 but would like to know how you come out if you go that route.

Keep and eye on bike bandit and ronayers.com for tires.....Bandit is usually cheaper but not always.

Glad to help.

Mike, probably will need to remove the diff if you get a 190 but would like to know how you come out if you go that route.

Keep and eye on bike bandit and ronayers.com for tires.....Bandit is usually cheaper but not always.

Glad to help.

Motorcycle Superstore also has deals every month , loads of tires , free shipping mostly. MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.com

i love bikebandit, good prices, awesome shipping so i don't stray elsewhere. the shinko line has been very good. i just sent a few emails back and forth with one of their tech reps. the 005 and 011 are good tires for the money. i know bill K and i have run the 011s. i think i'll go 005 to do a 130 front next time and keep the speedo more accurate. the 010's i guess are really nice tires but not as good in the rain if you get caught.

all of these should be had for around $200 a pair.

they also said the 005/010/011 are all intermixable /front/back etc

Glad to help.

I have my doubts on fitting a 190 because my swingarm is a bit different from the norm. It was shifted to the left, extended, with NO notch.

Time will tell.

I went with an 18" solid wheel from a seller from ebay. It was of unknown quality at the time, but after more than 25,000 miles, I am happy to report no issues with it.

I wanted Cazz wheels, but could not afford them at the time. I was never a fan of the look of the 3 spoke sportbike wheels on a stock looking Vmax IMO.

I have to say tho, radial tires far outmatch bias in terms of performance.

Mike

Attachments

• max1.jpg
    max1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
  • max2.jpg
    max2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back