rear tyre for 17 wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok , i recently made my 17 wheel exchange. i bougth max daddy rear 17 from ufo . nice clean desing. john told me that the most popular tyre in the U.S was avon storm av56. I never used this brand before. nice tyre . The only thing is from the left side the tyre slightly touches the swing arm. when i say slightly i mean very very very very slightly. i wear 180/55-17.

i know some people wear 190 -55/17 with no clearance issues.

does somebody can tell me what tyres i can use with no clearance issues?

i know that with 17 wheel, you lose Km/H cause the tyre diameter is smaller from the stocks. i found in a google search that there is pirelli night dragon which profile is 180/60-17. does anybody had experience with this tyre. because is 180/60 and not 55 will i have any clearance problems???
is it better tyre from the avon's i wear?
thanks for your time

The washer swap will give you a bit more clearance, but it also effectively makes the load on the bearing higher, which probably will wear it out quicker. It also messes up your wheel to wheel alignment also....the rear won't be perfectly in line with the front anymore. Some people say they've never noticed a difference, others have.

I used to have an Avon tire....worst tire I've ever used on any bike. Worse than el cheapo Kenda tires I put on my Magna. Had absolutely zero grip, might as well been made out of wood. With an essentially stock motor, and Venture drive, I could smash the gas rolling in 1st, and keep it lit up until about 80mph in third. That bad. Also would NOT corner when wet, no matter how gently you took a corner, the ass end of the bike would be all over the place. Was showing cords at 8000 miles. Replaced it with a Metz Marathon, a million times better.

For what it is worth.....

Did the washer swap quite a few years ago and have covered in the region of 12K + miles since with no apparent adverse effect.

Neither have I noticed any issues with handling 'cos it has moved the wheel over a tad (but that could be a reflection of my dumb ar*e!).

It's not uncommon for front and rear to be out of line without the swap and it's possible it could improve the situation.
If it is something you want to sort then just fit a RH pivot to the LH side which will allow a small amount of adjustment.

The washer swap will give you a bit more clearance, but it also effectively makes the load on the bearing higher, which probably will wear it out quicker. It also messes up your wheel to wheel alignment also....the rear won't be perfectly in line with the front anymore. Some people say they've never noticed a difference, others have.

Makes the bearing load higher? How's that?

i also have the avon av 56 180/55zr 17 no clearane issue i'am running a dymag rim. no washer swap . the offset of your rim must be different if that tire don't fit. also i highly recommend the avon.

my tyre fits but you can hear a very slight sqeak.... sometimes. and you can see that it touche's the swingarm for 0.09 mm. very litle. the tyre so far works good, no minus for the tyre performance. but i am curious because i know you there are tyres 190 that have no clearance issues and with no swaps. just bolt on.

Sorry, don't believe it. It's all working in the axial plane .
Im not suprised...

It supouse to be working in axial only but, rear wheel axle is machined with -0,2mm and that creates hudge dynamical loads.
Then more clearnace then more dynamical load - You cant disagree here, huh?

Last edited:
I ran a Metzler 180/55-17 with stock swingarm and no problems. I would suggest you notch the swingarm and then run all brands up to a 190. I now have a Shinko 190/50-17 Drag Radial "Hook Up" and it is awesome. The notch opens the final doors.

rick

Im running a Michelin power race medium 190/50 zr17.

Its soft and hooks up. Nice tire but wearing fast.

I am running Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires and they seem to do quite nicely. A dual compound tire so you get the good wear characteristics of a hard compound in the center with the softer outside compounds for cornering. Rode this weekend on wet roads with no issues whatsoever. I am running a 200/50 ZR17 rear, but my bike is chain drive so to fit that tire on a shaft drive bike notching both sides of the swingarm would be required.

Back