recomendations on rear tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right I mean I understand the concept of tire compound and what not. I've had a few stree/strip cars and and a mud truck or two. ;) I guess the answer I was looking for is you would also take a better wearing tire over a stickier tire. Just through me for a loop when I saw the H-D guys run the Venom.

I gotcha Bro. I'm definitely no expert but just wanted to throw it out there from a little different point of view. Sorry about the eye-bleeding details. :biglaugh:

Just to throw my tire selection input out there for you. I personally enjoy having the increased security of having that tire stick to the pavement when I'm running through turns and accelerating. When I shift, I don't mind it "wobbling" a bit, but I'd shit myself if the tire actually broke loose on me. It's just me though. I want that thing planted at all times so I really like the Qualifier for that fact.

That being said, I'm not crazy about the fact that I'll have to put another rear on soon, but that's just the price I'm willing to pay for what's really important to me..... TRACTION.

Again, just one guy's point of view. All the best!

Ahh.... But you could if you went with radials and got the dual compound tires thats out there now...:thumbs up: Harder in center but softer on the edge... Pilot 2CT's and coming soon the Road 2CT's...:thumbs up:

Yep. I agree w/you 100%. I'm just not at a point to get away from the stockers yet. That's still my weak link at this point but I wish I could go w/the radials like you say. The dual compounds would be perfect for me!

So I guess getting back to the original question. What tire would you go with for the Max?

I ride more for the straight line and drag racing part of it. Would a single compound radial be up my alley? Any suggestions on that? Are the ME 880's and Venom a radial, I guess I never looked.

So I guess getting back to the original question. What tire would you go with for the Max?

I ride more for the straight line and drag racing part of it. Would a single compound radial be up my alley? Any suggestions on that? Are the ME 880's and Venom a radial, I guess I never looked.

To go with radials you have to get new wheels M8...

It makes an amazing difference but is VERY expensive to convert.

Metzler makes the ME880 in both radial and bias ply.

To go with radials you have to get new wheels M8...

It makes an amazing difference but is VERY expensive to convert.

Metzler makes the ME880 in both radial and bias ply.

Gotcha. Probably not in the budget for me, but I do plan on the Venture diff and a set of 19/18's for the bike perhaps the following winter.

The AM42 Venom is a Bias ply tire as is the ME880. I originally decided to go with the Venom because everyone around here with a Max had the ME880s, and I liked the tread design. One thing to think about is that with the ME880 the tire has a harder compound and will have more of a tendency to spin under hard acceleration. The Avon will stick better and is less likely to spin when getting into it. The good thing about motorcycle tires is that if you don't like them you only have to have it worry about for 6000-7000 miles.

The AM42 Venom is a Bias ply tire as is the ME880. I originally decided to go with the Venom because everyone around here with a Max had the ME880s, and I liked the tread design. One thing to think about is that with the ME880 the tire has a harder compound and will have more of a tendency to spin under hard acceleration. The Avon will stick better and is less likely to spin when getting into it. The good thing about motorcycle tires is that if you don't like them you only have to have it worry about for 6000-7000 miles.

I can tell you the Avon on my bike is sticky! I sent the bike up to the 12 o'clock position when I tag'd second gear last weekend!!!!

Hmmm, decisions decisions. I like the Venom on the bike now, and I do plan on eventually going with an 18 on the back, perhaps I'll just replace it with another.

I guess the question is would you rather pop the front end up or lay down a black stripe of rubber and wagging the tail a bit. :)

Mark

Getting a lot of good info on this thread - thx. Seems to me that the stock Bridgestone 150 is pretty good already (new to the Max, used to sport riding). I can get an aggressive lean if I hang off the bike. If the 880 is any stickier, Ill go with that and bump to the 170. Rim mods are costly and will have to wait. Exhaust is first on my list.

i have a little different perspective. i like the tires to grip and i dont like to waste money[im cheap]. i have found bridgestone s11 front and rear[rear in 170 size] get great traction dry or wet and i can buy a pair for $160 delivered. that is my best advice, but the rear is only good for 4-5000 miles of agrressive riding in the FL heat but at that price i can buy more tires:thumbs up:

Is there any concerns/ problems associated with running a "H" speed rated tires on the Max. I normally don't run at "sustained" speeds over 130.
I do like to blast past my buddies on hardleys/ road stars who think they are flying at 80 mph. I will run it up 135 or so and then wait for then at the next stop, 1/2 way done with a smoke. My brother on his fz1 likes to ride above 150 mph and he's normally finishing his smoke when they get there.

No worries. Tires are rated by going tire limit speed for 2 straight hours.

Mark

Is there any concerns/ problems associated with running a "H" speed rated tires on the Max. I normally don't run at "sustained" speeds over 130.
I do like to blast past my buddies on hardleys/ road stars who think they are flying at 80 mph. I will run it up 135 or so and then wait for then at the next stop, 1/2 way done with a smoke. My brother on his fz1 likes to ride above 150 mph and he's normally finishing his smoke when they get there.

Yeah the Vmax speedo is off a lot on top so no worries...

I was going an indicated 140 but GPS read 128...

i have the stock 15 inch rim and i have been through dunlop, metzler and i like the grip size and price of the kenda k671 the size is 170/80/15 great traction!

Back