Remove clutch pushrod seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200fan

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder on my 97 Vmax: I need to remove the seal for the clutch pushrod, as it's leaking oil from the crankcase into the slave cylinder.

I'm having trouble with taking out the old seal, I've tried a hooked pick tool but that's just torn the inside of the seal and not moved it at all.

Worried about using screwdrivers etc. There's not much room, and the pushrod guide is just behind the seal and easy to damage.

Any help about removing the seal would be much appreciated.

Many thanks everyone.

Not sure if there's an easy answer. I've only removed it when the cases were split. You could try to find a small seal puller.

1704641745923.png

Or try a small, self taping screw and popping it off with vice grips. Probably not a good idea to pry with a metal screwdriver.

Sometimes they get in there and you have to get aggressive.

Take a crummy long-shaft slot head screwdriver, heat the tip red-hot, and bend it in a vise (no not a 'vice!') to put a 90 degree 3/8" L-shape on it. Use that to hook the seal thru its hole, and yank it out.

Glad you were able to persevere, and it finally relented.

I have that heat-bent slotted screwdriver I've used for decades for all-sorts of bike seals' removals. I have a slide hammer I can use for the problem ones.

Hey great it worked out for ya! I just ordered my clutch slave kit that includes the pushrod seal, and I think I got to change my seal also from a glance under it tonight. Can ya post a pic to show us which seal puller? You made it sound easy. Any choice words used or scraped knuckles in the process or it came right out?

😎

hey sorry to bring this back up again, it's your past but my future lol, just got this the other day, is this the type of seal puller that you used and will this work?

Attachments

• IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Sorry, the clutch seal is buried in a tunnel among other engine parts. That puller doen't fit into the 'tunnel'.

You need something smaller like the bent screwdrive explained by Firemedic or a small allen wrench held by vicegrips, or??

Hey, sorry again for being late.I used this puller, got it from eBay, it's flat which helped get it in that gap.
One of the hooks bent at first but think in doing that it made a tear in the seal, then using the hook on the other side it popped out.
Be careful of the neutral/alternator wires running along the bottom! I caught those using a pick before getting the puller but thankfully no damage.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_131054648.jpg
    IMG_20240120_131054648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back