removing muffler need help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrington

Reaction score
I currently have supertrapp exhaust on my 86. I do not like the look. Has anyone removed the mufflers and just left the H-pipe? would it be too loud? the super traps have the end caps off and no discs. Just wanna take the mufflers off. I may put some on later. But if it is okay and sounds good Ill just weld some pipes with no mufflers.

I currently have supertrapp exhaust on my 86. I do not like the look. Has anyone removed the mufflers and just left the H-pipe? would it be too loud? the super traps have the end caps off and no discs. Just wanna take the mufflers off. I may put some on later. But if it is okay and sounds good Ill just weld some pipes with no mufflers.

I have to agree with you on the looks and fit of Trapps!

O

What condition are they in (pictures preferably)? are they the standard stainless and do you want to sell them? :biglaugh:

Thanks

From what I have heard and read (I'm sure more people will chime in that know more than I do) is that with no mufflers the front two cylinders will be fine but the back two may not have enough back pressure and that may cause some damage to the valves. I think it's fine to run with no mufflers at the track for a pass or two but not every day driving.

Again, not sure if this is true, this is just what I found.

It will be louder than what you have now, IMO headers only sound really nice at idle but not so much while cruising. Plus you will get pulled over by the cops for having no mufflers. You're better off leaving the traps on until you can find a 4-2-1 exhaust. If you browse the for sale section on here you'll find some nice deals (sell your trapps to offset the cost). With the 4-2-1 header it is really easy to fit any muffler you want, small, medium, large, whatever you desire.

I wouldn't run without mufflers, I also heard it isn't good for the motor. And, you will need some serious pain killers for that headache after a few miles, and you can kiss your hearing goodbye too (not replaceable).

There are a number of different mufflers available for the Max, a lot of them look a lot better than Trapps! Check out Hindle/Jardine (straight cylindrical), Akrapovic (nice shape), Cobras (look good, too loud, saps power) etc..

Back