Replacement brake pads....but which ones?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Not which brand, or sintered/non-sintered.....know I'll get another set of the "HH" pads. The front pads in there are starting to squeak with around 20k miles on them and many, many dusty wheel cleanings. I can see the inner pad on each side is gone and the outers are just a sliver.

Problem is, I don't know what ones to get. My bike came from the p/o with R1 calipers on it. I have no idea what year the "donor" bike was.

They're the "star spot" calipers, but the "spots" aren't colored, they're just unfinished metal. There are no adapters, bolted directly to stock '97 forks. The master cylinder(which p/o said came from the same bike) is a Brembo radial-pump with a tiny(think 1/2 a shotglass) size remote reservoir, not the big "child's fist" ones like seen on most 600 class bikes, if that gives any clue.

Any idea what brakes I should order? A cursory glance at listings shows that 98-03 R1's all took the same pads, then a different part # for 04-06, then another for 07-08, an then an 09-up.

My guess is they're the "98-03" calipers, but figured someone here would know what years were the direct bolt-on swap for the Max.

Picture of the caliper would be for sure. The "R1" and other star adapter calipers interchange (though note that the newer radial brakes have the same inserts which those calipers don't interchange).

I have a few different pad types/brands on hand.
Sean

This is the best I could do for a picture....bike's at home, I'm at school. Zoomed and cropped out of a BR10 picture where my wheel happened to be visible.

Guess I don't even remember them well....black with silver "star spots".

Sean if you have the EBC hh's on hand (or something equivalent) let me know the price, best I found on ebay was $65 for two pairs shipped.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 34
Looks like Warrior calipers though they are the same as the R1's. Looking at:
$35 per pad set ($70 two pairs)
$5 postage
3% paypal (or you can send me a check)

Need to email me if interested at [email protected]

I believe I have both Galfer and EBC on hand though would need to make sure (I know I have some on hand just can't remember if I have both brands).

Sean

Latest posts

Back