Replacing rear brake line

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello - I picked up a full set of Galfer SS brake and clutch lines. I had my local shop do the work because I was a little intimidated by the cable routes and just not wanting to screw something up. They did not change the rear brake line because they said it would involve taking the whole rear end apart to do the job. This sounded a bit extreme to me.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the rear brake line on the gen 2 max, and if so, how did you do the job?

Thank you!

Service manual says there is a cutout in the fuel tank protector that both lines (hydraulic unit to caliper & hydraulic unit to master cylinder) pass through. I have no idea how involved it is to remove those lines but looking at the hydraulic unit, the lines look like they run between the frame & gas tank. I wonder if removing the plastic panel behind the right side cover gives access...again, no idea. But it does look like something I could do without.

Last edited:
If you look at the right side above the clutch cover & just inside the frame you should see two rubber covered lines going up towards the hydraulic unit. One of those lines feel like it runs down to the master cylinder & I'm betting the other one goes to the caliper. There is a plastic cover on the swingarm that the brake line & abs line run through on the way to the caliper. It doesn't look like you have to take half the rear end apart to change those lines. The only section that is difficult to see is behind the swingarm pivot but it looks like if you remove that triangle piece held in place with 3 bolts you would be able to get a peek in there.

Last edited:
E & F are the lines running from the hydraulic unit to the caliper & master. Also took a pic of those two lines coming down from the hydraulic unit, looking from the left side of the bike.

Attachments

• 20230415_205040.jpg
    20230415_205040.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230416_113422.jpg
    20230416_113422.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey, just found where the new lines go & it doesn't look bad at all. The pic showing the two hoses wrapped in thick rubber is hiding the two junctions the new lines connect to. You get to it from the right side of the bike, just above the exhaust.20230826_145537.jpg

No problem, man. I was just about to put my galfer rear lines up to see if anybody wanted them when I noticed the fittings couldn't connect directly to the abs module. That's when I started looking for the connectors. It's a little aggravating they are not shown at all in the service manual. Just have to be careful to make a note which line goes where.

Be sure you have a really good set of open end wrenches. The two lines in the pic almost started rounding when trying to break loose. There are also two of those plastic fittings to hold the lines in place behind the lower frame. Those two things are what took the most time trying to sort out. Pics aren't the best but I hope it shows the plastic holders.

Attachments

• 20230827_170049.jpg
    20230827_170049.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230827_170114.jpg
    20230827_170114.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back