ride to San Diego

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKMAX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live on the northern edge of California and my grandchildren live in San Diego. They visit us a couple times a year and we go there whenever we can. I've always wanted to drive down there on the Pacific coast highway with the Max. No more wishing. I'm going to do it this trip! My wife will not ride with me so she asked her sister to go with her in the Jeep and follow me(if they can). :biglaugh:

In year's past, I've traveled on the coast highway between here and San Francisco so I'll take Hy 101 to Pacifica and go from there to LA with a overnight stop at Morro Bay. I think I'll get on the 405 in LA and try to get thru that hell hole as fast as I can.

I'll leave this Sunday and will stay untill Tuesday the 17th. I hope to find a little time to explore some to the canyon roads around San Diego while I'm there. Finally get to check this one off the
Bucket List!:eusa_dance:

Joe

sounds amazing! similar to me riding from here to columbus OH, but without the scenery, hah.

If you know of some areas to ride around San Diego (MTN or Valleys), I'll meet up with you on Saturday. Wont be on my max but can barrow my buddies CBR 1000. I will be in San Diego for a week and my Saturday is pretty much open.

Are you're talking about Saturday the 14th? If so, it's the only day I have something to do. Granddaughter's first birthday. Could hit it early in the morning though. I've been looking at a 150 mi plus ride that might be fun. I'll pm you my cell phone #.

Joe

The twisties heading from SD to Julian are beautiful too and a fun ride. I explored that a bit on my fz6 while I was stationed in SD.

And Julian is a pretty nifty spot to stop and take pictures or eat some of their famous pie.

Well, I made it to San Diego yesterday. If anyone is thinking about doing the Pacific coast highway in June, I'd advise don't do it. I hit the fog on the Golden Gate bridge. It let up a little at Pacifica, then got thick the rest of the way to Morro Bay. Missed out on the sights and stressed out on the lack of visibility. 500 mi in 12 hours.

On the second leg of the journey, I got the pleasure of meeting Andrey (putin) in Las Angeles. Had a great lunch and conversation with Andrey! Thanks again! Got on the 405 freeway and survived! Had many chances to try out lane splitting but lacked the nerve to do it. I think if the traffic was not moving at all, I might try it!

After 305 miles on Tuesday, I got to San Diego. Total miles =805. Fuel used =21.78 gallons. Fuel mileage = 36.96. Was expecting more. Two weeks ago, I got 43 mpg on a 150 mile ride. Sister in law took a couple of photos before we hit the fog. Here's one of them
photo4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Joe! Looks like you are the ONLY ONE Vmaxer traveling in California:)

I saw one on the 8 yesterday between San Diego and La Mesa. Also seen one at a motorcycle shop on El Cajon today. Think it was for sale. I may stop and see.
Are you going back up the Coast on your return trip, or inland? I know all the good roads in the Lake Tahoe area, if you're interested in coming by this way . . . also a great little breakfast/lunch spot nearby.

I've done the PCH from San Diego to San Francisco by car, only the Oregon coast by bike. The whole dang thing, on two wheels, has been on my bucket list for years now.
I'm heading out for Arkansas in a week or so. If my old body is still functioning fairly good when I get there, maybe I'll point the thing "due west". This would also give me more time in Utah/Arizona, which is incredible by bike.
P.M. me with your contact info, in case I'm in your neck of the woods.
Cheers!

Bummed my bike hookup fell through. All I can do is look at them. Prob just drive up to Julian for some PIE!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
Back