Rocket Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt the biggest set of balls of any wheeled sports enthusiast. I thought AA/FD guys were crazy to go 300 mph w/all-sorts of framework around them! This guy pretty-much rides the bottle to unheard-of speeds! He comes-closest to Slim Pickens in one of my all-time favorite movies:
images

Of course, this guy lives while Slim goes-out w/a "Big" bang!

Years-ago, "Wired" magazine did a story about apocryphal tales which may or may-not be true, and one of them involved someone in the desert using an automobile fitted w/Dr. Robert H Goddard's invention, the JATO (jet-assisted take-off) bottles, originally-designed to assist Navy PBY Catalinas to get-off the water when their fuel tanks (pretty-much the entire wing) was filled with fuel, and they were on one of their hours-long patrols looking for downed aviators during WW II. The JATO abbreviation was a misnomer, as they were rockets, not-unlike the H2O2 powered bicycle here. (Though I believe the H2O2 rockets are obviously liquid-fueled, while the JATO rockets are solid-fueled) This tale was repeated in the movie "The Darwin Awards" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428446/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23 which, if you've never seen it, you need to watch sometime soon. It's like "Reservoir Dogs," just a different take on life which you really aren't prepared-for.

images
images
11065716-large.jpg

The last pic doesn't have anything to do w/the post, but lots of guys seem to like redheads, and how-often do you see one on a BSA? And how-many of you whippersnappers know what "BSA" stands-for or what is on the logo, and what it symbolizes? No-fair googling!

Mythbusters fitted a 66 Impala with 3 JATO "Jet Assisted Takeoff" rockets to the roof and shot it across a dry lake bed in Cali...........It was outrunning the chase copter for a moment, one of my favorite episodes...........I've heard what BSA stands for but can't remember, I believe the "B" stands for British............................Tom.

Yep, and they were the largest motorcycle manufacturers in the world, nearly 90 years-ago. What's on their logo, and why are they there????

most believe it to be British Small Arms but it's actually Birmingham Small Arms

There's a show from England called Peaky Blinders that centers in Birmingham and makes several references to the BSA factory before (I believe) it produced motor bikes. It's set in the post WW1 era and concerns the Birmingham version of the "Mob". Well worth a look.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back