Second gear fix in bike flipped upside down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plus MAn

Reaction score
Can you fix the second gear issue in bike by flipping upside down and working on it while still in frame ?

Can you fix the second gear issue in bike by flipping upside down and working on it while still in frame ?

Sure you can but you might have to change your riding style :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Not unless you are going to cut the bike in half. The engine has to be split open to access the trans. So, to get enough room to do that it has to come out.

Sean

V motors have to be split side ways, straight 4 cyls , you can turn the motor over and remove the transmission that way, but not in the frame.

On the Vmax you turn the motor over and split it in half (not sideways). The trans is easier to remove then many modern inline 4's (most of those require you to remove the jugs to get access to some of the case half bolts).

Sean

As I'm in the process of doing this whole thing currently, I can attest to the fact that it's impossible to do with the engine still in the bike. I heard of a guy that has done it, but I don't know how. Something like 8 bolts that hold the cases together are on the topside of the engine. There's way too much crap packed in the frame to access those bolts.

The "second gear fix" is pretty well documented in this forum isn't it? New style second gear with the bigger integrated dog, undercut the gears, updated star selector gizmo. Hopfully you'll bust a shaft before you trash a gear. Did that sound inappropriate? Sorry.

I'm having the same issue with my 1985 v-max1200 when i hit it hard it slips out of second gear but re-in gauge,If i don't hit it hard it find..I had to under cut the gears on my 1982 Yamaha maxim xj1100 and never had that issue again but the issue is getting to the gears on the v-max how???Not even my manual book shows step by step can anyone help me are a step by step??

Flip it over on it's top (the engine that is once removed from the frame). Remove every engine cover on the sides and pan. Remove all the bolts through the block (there are some underneath), remove the slave cylinder, remove the complete clutch assy, remove the small plastic gear under it, remove the 3 phillips screws holding the curved strap in place, remove the middle drive gear (part with the u-joint), remove the oiling system and pump, and that should be it.

Sean

Or send it to us and we will do the work for you (we offer undercut and even overdrive transmission options).

Sean

Back