Shindengen SH775 Regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I replaced the toasted Chinese knock-off regulator in Godzilla with another unit. Actually, this one (total cost - $14.95!) works better than the first one. It still gets slightly warm, but seems to keep the charging voltage a bit closer to 14.4V at the battery. So far, so good.

I did a lot of investigating and reading about voltage regulators, and it seems Shindengen has come up with a better way to keep our batteries happy. This has been around for a while, but it's the first I've heard of it, so I'll post it just in case it's not common knowledge.

Many of us with older Gen1's have upgraded to MOSFET units. These replaced the old type shunt units - which sent any excess charging current directly to ground, getting very hot in the process. MOSFET units also do this, but use a different way to switch the electric current internally. They run cooler, and more efficiently, but still send the excess to ground, which will eventually shorten the life of the stator (or so I read).

Shindengen has a regulator unit called the SH775. It is described as a SERIES regulator, which means that instead of shunting the excess power to ground, it opens the coils in the stator - basically turning them off. No high current goes to ground, the unit stays cooler, and the stator lives a linger, more pleasant life.

These units are exactly the same size as the FH012, and FH020 units we use, and are a direct plug in with the Furukawa connectors used with the older units. Mounting screw holes are in exactly the same position, so they are a simple replacement.

MOSFET units work great, but the design leaves a bit to be desired, especially that there seems to be a better way to get the job done. The SH775's are sold at Polaris dealers as part number 4012941. They are used in the newer model ATV's. Looks like they go for about $85.00, about the same as a MOSFET unit.

I found a supplier on Ebay that has guaranteed units for $45.00 free shipping. Ask, and they may knock the price to $40.00/shipped. They did for me... Here's the contact info:

store.powersportnation.com
or phone: 402-371-4002

I will post updates. Meanwhile, the MOSFET unit I just bought will be moved over to my Roadstar, replacing the shunt unit that is in it now.

Hope this helps someone..

Good info, thanks Bill.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Blax:
The one you tipped me on is a MOSFET unit. That one will live on the Roadstar, as it is a massive improvement on the old style that is on the bike now. I plan on putting the series SH775 onto the Max, because it's got a lot older stator in it, and hope to get it to last as long as I can..

Thanks for posting.....I was curious about these. Please keep us posted how it turns out.

Blax:
The one you tipped me on is a MOSFET unit. That one will live on the Roadstar, as it is a massive improvement on the old style that is on the bike now. I plan on putting the series SH775 onto the Max, because it's got a lot older stator in it, and hope to get it to last as long as I can..
Should be ok, I'm on my 3rd with mine as well as the same battery.

I toasted the original stator at about 60,000 miles. There were no aftermarket units available in 1989, so I went with OEM. So fair, at 130,000 miles, it's still working well. If the series regulator lessens the heat in the coils, it definitely is worth the $40.00 I spent. The unit will put 35 amps out. Thats plenty for a Gen1, especially with LED tail and signal lights.. Most of these MOSFET units will pass about 50 amps. Perfect for the Roadstar with the extra electrical doo dads I've installed. Although to be honest, the system works fine with the stock R/R unit. I did replace the stator with a Rick's Hot Shot 3 or 4 years ago. It puts our 20% more power, and adding the MOSFET to that bike will definitely increase the charging, as the old shunt unit is rated for somewhere around 27 amps.

Got the SH775 unit and installed it into the Max. Direct plug in with the connectors from the MOSFET unit. 14.3 to 14.4 volts from idle speed up. I ran the bike a few miles, and the regulator, which lives under the seat, didn't even get warm. The MOSFET unit is going to the Roadstar on the next warm day..

In my opinion, if you are planning on replacing an old type shunt unit with a MOSFET regulator, try to get the series type SH775. They cost about the same, and at least on my bike - seem to be more stable charge voltage, and definitely run cooler. Ebay has a few of them, I posted a contact, or Roadster Cycle has them for lessthan $100.00.. Try not to get a knockoff. You want a real Shindengen unit.

Are you sure SH is not for SHUNT?

Anyway, when the transistor is toasted :
-Parallel (shunt) circuit = Drop in DC regulated voltage, not a real problem except bad charging
-Serie circuit = No regulation and raise of DC regulated voltage, you can toast the battery and the harness

Or maybe SHindegen? Or possibly Shazam (wich oddly enough is not available in Netflix.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 29
Sh775 sorry for the multiple posts,iPad only lets me do 1 pic per post or maybe I just can't figure it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
No it is not. I checked carefully.
I thought the same thing but after reading about the unit, learned that it is a series regulator

Ok so I have a question, and I cant remember if its been posted somewhere else, how many amps does the Vmax need? This is assuming no LEDS.....or the like?

Back