Slight backfire and hesititation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
I'm experiencing a little hesitation and backfiring. It happens with low-mid throttle. WOT appears to clear it up. Idle is perfect.

The current combo is Dyna3000 (Curve 5)+Mark's 4-2 Exhaust+Sean's Jet Kit w/ 157.5

I just put in mid-octane (89/91) gas instead of regular since I have the Dyna3000 installed now and the problem occurred right after that. Perhaps it's a coincidence.

I have not done the Shotgun or PeaShooter yet. Would this help clear this problem up?

for sure it be a good start to set a base line. a little seafoam in the tank afterward to help out.

Stick to 87 too - Max is not a high compression engine and does not like the higher octane stuff.

Seafoam is your friend.

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll put in a little seafoam after the tank is empty and filled with 87. I wondered about the higher octane. It happened right after that.

I think my max has been filled shell v-power (95) for along time, including previous owner.
I was told it was better than the 87 due to the cleaning additive the better quality in general compared to other brand here.
Do I spend money for nothing ?

ya think you are spending extra money for nothing. The less volatile 95 will make less power then the 87. sometimes in the remote areas i go up to 89 just cause the 87 is crap, old and ran bad in any gas power machine so pending where i am i might go up one level but for sure you dont need 95.

your fuel rating might be different there i just noticed where your from. I know in europe they use just a MON, so usually think low grade is 91-95 range i forget. but in north america we use a average of RON/MON and that gives us the 87 that the bike can live with. Do you know what is used there, do the pumps have a sticker on them? If you got a specific gravity fuel tester you can test the different fuels and get more accurate, not the avg thing guys do but got lots of time up here to mess around with that for fun.

Yea in Europe regular unleaded is 95. High octane is 98.

In the US it's 87. High octane is 91.

Same stuff, different measurement standards.

I have noticed my max runs like poop on 87 or 89, however put 91 in it and she runs awsome, and its a completely stock 88 ????

I think my max has been filled shell v-power (95) for along time, including previous owner.
I was told it was better than the 87 due to the cleaning additive the better quality in general compared to other brand here.
Do I spend money for nothing ?

Our octane ratings are different than yours...

Scroll down... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Philippines is following EU measurement standards for that.
This is what is available:

93 RON (84 MON)
Petron Xtra Unleaded
Caltex Silver
Shell Super Unleaded
(take note Caltex doesn't mention unleaded)

95 RON (85-86 MON)
Petron XCS
Caltex Gold
Shell Super Premium

96 RON (87 MON)
Petron Blaze
Shell V-Power

so more or less like

Philippines is following EU measurement standards for that.
This is what is available:

93 RON (84 MON)
= 89
Petron Xtra Unleaded
Caltex Silver
Shell Super Unleaded
(take note Caltex doesn't mention unleaded)

95 RON (85-86 MON) = 91
Petron XCS
Caltex Gold
Shell Super Premium

96 RON (87 MON)= 92
Petron Blaze
Shell V-Power

so more or less like

you are running the correct stuff then or can drop one if you wanted, how much is fuel over there

gasoline is 1$ per liter for the 92, difference of 20% between 92 and 89.

2.79 per US gallon this morning is what I saw here for 89 with 10% ethanol at one of our Shells. 1.05 US gallons per 4 liters. Remember Imperial gallons are bigger. Queen needs more per gallon I guess... lol

I pay 2.99 for 93 for my car.

Compression is only one part of the equation here. If he's running a ton of advance in timing then he'll want a higher octane as well. My car was 87 stock but I tuned it for 93.

Chris

So about $3.5 per gallon, I guess that's still more expensive than in the US. Yea, like Chris said, unless you're tuned for high octane, you're throwing money away on the higher stuff.

Just fill up with your regular (92-3) and see how it runs. If it runs fine you can start saving for the mod monkey :biglaugh:

Back