So sad to report, 1 less 1st gen VMax in the world.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel awful to tell everyone this but my 1997 silver VMax is totaled. Of course I'm disappointed for my own sake because I'm out one thrilling motorcycle. But I also feel guilty to the VMax community that I was given one of these special beasts to care for and I let us all down. I assure you I did not destroy the bike willfully or negligently. The old story, a car driver doing something unpredictable and stupid in front of me led me to lock the brakes, get a little crossed up, endure 2 or 3 violent wobbles, and go down. The bike and I slid and tumbled along the road for a little ways. I'll be fine but the bike is done for. It hurts to share this but I thought you guys would want to know. The one good thing I can offer to the community is that I had just installed a Corbin seat, so I have the original in my garage. I replaced it because the upholstery was very bad, but the structure, base, hinge, springs and such is all fine. I'm not selling it or shipping it but I will give it to anyone close enough to come get it. If you want a good seat to reupholster and you're near the Triad area of NC send me a private message and we'll make arrangements.

#1, your health. It sounds like you're OK, and that's the important thing.

Is there any part of the bike salvageable? The engine? That should be worth something, Is it too-painful to post some pictures? It's < 275 miles 1-way for Kyle. He could probably get some salvage value out of it. Keep some other bikes on the road.

Last edited:
#1, your health. It sounds like you're OK, and that's the important thing.

Is there any part of the bike salvageable? The engine? That should be worth something, Is it too-painful to post some pictures? It's < 275 miles 1-way for Kyle. He could probably get some salvage value out of it. Keep some other bikes on the road.
I had full coverage insurance on it so the bike is in the possession of the insurance company right now. I think I will have the option to deduct the salvage value from the total loss payout and get the bike back. But then I would have to pay to transport it back to me and I would be in the business of storing and parting out a wrecked bike and I don't really want to do all that. I took a few pictures at the tow lot where they transported it but it was up against a fence with cars around it so the pictures don't show much.

Terrible thing, but we are all glad you are OK.

You are so humble about your custodial obligation. You shouldn't feel that way, but it is refreshing.
I didn't own a bike until I was in my forties, but I had been lusting after motorcycles since I was 13 years old. As a teenager I read motorcycle magazines and remember the articles of the bikes I thought were spectacular and of course the VMax was one of them. I was thrilled to be able to finally own one 30+ years later so that's why it's so disappointing to see one meet its end. Since I started riding, besides the VMax I've also owned a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700s and a Yamaha FJR1300, so that's 3 bikes I drooled over many years ago that I eventually got to ride. They were all great in their own ways.

Very sorry to hear but main thing is your ok. I could possibly be interested in the buy back depending on the price and I could pick it up from the yard.
When the insurance makes their offer I will ask about the buyback and if they will charge storage fees to hold it until someone can pick it up. I'll pass that info along to you through the conversation feature and you can let me know if you want it or not. FYI, the trans was fine and should still be. The engine was running well but was very clattery so I can't swear the bearings are good. Other than scrapes the engine should still be as good as it was before the crash. The headlight and speedo area is trashed and the handlebar is destroyed so probably the whole front end is no good. The stock original wheels didnt appear damaged but I can't say they aren't bent. I would guess the rear swingarm assembly is ok but the springs probably have scrape damage. The faux tank is dented in a couple of places. The carbs should be fine but I think they were ready for a rebuild before the crash.

A good reminder for all of us to practice panic braking. I do it religiously. Tons of front brake little back brake. Start very slowly and build up speed gradually. Obviously do this in a safe place like an empty parking lot. It’s amazing how fast you can stop without locking up.

And don’t stab at the brake lever. That’s a sure way to lock up the front. Gradual pull at first to transfer weight to the front tire and then squeeze harder and harder. As you get better at it you’ll realize the weight transfer can take place very quickly and you can pull hard sooner than you think.

Sometimes it's a second or two from, 'cruising along listening to the radio' ('Ballad of Uneasy Rider' by Charlie Daniels) to OMG, WTF?!! Grab the brakes, hard! -IMPACT!!

You're correct about practicing emergency braking. Unfortunately, intersections are often where motorcycle accidents happen. From spilled coolant, oil, transmission fluid, tar snakes, and whatever else ends up in the road, your coefficient of friction may be severely compromised. Trying to change direction to avoid contact and emergency braking may use up more traction than you have available. That's why it's important to dress for the slide, er, I mean, 'ride,' or whatever comes your way.

True, but if you practice religiously muscle memory can take over. Another very important tip: Ride where the cars wheels drive, NOT in the center of the lane, especially at intersections. Where do cars drip oil, antifreeze, etc.? In the middle of the lane. I see so many bikes come to a stop at a red light sitting in the middle of the lane on top of visible oil and crap.

True, but if you practice religiously muscle memory can take over. Another very important tip: Ride where the cars wheels drive, NOT in the center of the lane, especially at intersections. Where do cars drip oil, antifreeze, etc.? In the middle of the lane. I see so many bikes come to a stop at a red light sitting in the middle of the lane on top of visible oil and crap.

On the Iowa written test for motorcycle endorsement.
They have a question. That asks, What part of the lane you should ride in?
I'm with you ride in a tire track. Avoiding the oil and other stuff .
That leaks from under cars.
But whoever came up with this obviously never rode a motorcycle. Because they say ride in the middle.I have even brought it to the attention. Of a officer who conducted the riding section of the test.He said he has heard many complaints. And agrees. Yet it's still on the test.

I strongly agree with the muscle memory. I've told more than 1 person.I won't teach them to ride.they should take a course. Designed to teach them things that .I do without thinking .It just come natural. How to lean ,when to brake or gas it.where to ride ,how to negotiate traffic.

@VMAX_Jon_NC its like we lived parallel lives for a while but it seems I started much earlier than you. At 17 I bought my first street bike a 1972 Kaw H2 750 (like riding a giant chain saw). Then bought 3 of the same bikes you did. Nighthawk at 18yrs, ‘86 Vmax at 21yrs old and way later an FJR1300. Had several others in there too. One of my faves a 1998 Honda Superhawk. Anyway, I digress. I feel so bad for you regarding your Vmax. Chin up. Maybe you can recoup some salvage money and buy another. There are some good ones that crop up fairly often. Oh yeah, and thank God your still with us!!!

I feel awful to tell everyone this but my 1997 silver VMax is totaled. Of course I'm disappointed for my own sake because I'm out one thrilling motorcycle. But I also feel guilty to the VMax community that I was given one of these special beasts to care for and I let us all down. I assure you I did not destroy the bike willfully or negligently. The old story, a car driver doing something unpredictable and stupid in front of me led me to lock the brakes, get a little crossed up, endure 2 or 3 violent wobbles, and go down. The bike and I slid and tumbled along the road for a little ways. I'll be fine but the bike is done for. It hurts to share this but I thought you guys would want to know. The one good thing I can offer to the community is that I had just installed a Corbin seat, so I have the original in my garage. I replaced it because the upholstery was very bad, but the structure, base, hinge, springs and such is all fine. I'm not selling it or shipping it but I will give it to anyone close enough to come get it. If you want a good seat to reupholster and you're near the Triad area of NC send me a private message and we'll make arrangements.
Sorry for your loss. I also Ride a 2007 Vmax in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I Pray that you recover soon from this unfortunate accident.... Stay Strong... God Bless.

Thanks so much to all of you for your words of sympathy and support. That's a little known cool extra feature of the VMax; the great rider community. In response to DansMax, practicing panic braking is definitely good advice and something I did casually rather than regularly. It may be that a little bit more skill could have kept me off the ground in my particular incident and I've tried to replay it mentally and figure that out, but there's no way to be sure. Sometimes a rider can find themselves in a situation where even exceptional skills leave them deciding how they'll crash, not if. In that case, the most important decision was the one they made before the ride when they got their gear on. In my case I was wearing a full face helmet, a mesh riding jacket with (light) internal armor, steel toed work boots and riding gloves with hard plastic knuckle protection. Every one of those items absorbed damage that would have injured me much worse if I wasn't wearing it. My message to my fellow riders: Wear your gear or plan for a stay in the hospital, your choice.

Couldn’t agree more NC. Please don’t take it that I was implying that you are not a skilled rider. I believe you are and yes, very true, sometimes there is nothing you can do about a crash. ATGATT (all the gear, all the time)…

I live near King, NC. I have a small trailer and a ramp. I could potentially get the bike (I'm sure I can get some help to load it) from the impound lot of Kyle wants it and it can stay at my place to save storage fees.

Very sorry to hear of your crash. Sounds like you're on the mend.

Back