So we have a motorcycle now....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stites

Reaction score
And it's not a bad little bike at all! It's just little - an 82 Suzuki GS300 with 6300 miles on it. My wife got it thinking it would be something for me to ride to work and back, and I do... but I look and feel like a dang circus bear on it! Other'n that, the only issue I have is that it surges while at cruising speeds, and if it ain't a very warm day it stutters and does the herky-jerky under heavy throttle. We have to pull the choke out some to make it go away.

So, does anyone have experience with a Mikuni BS30SS carb who can tell me if this is merely a pilot screw adjustment, complete re-jet, etc? Carbs are like new clean inside, and it's had about three tanks of gas run through it since we got it.

That's a 42 year old bike being driven an average of 150 miles a year....the carb throats may look nice and clean but the chances are really good there's varnish or some other deposits left behind from evaporating gasoline further inside the carbs.

As mentioned, seafoam is a good place to start, run a few tanks and see what she does....BG44K is a bit stronger if the seafoam doesn't do it, run a 1/3 can in each of the next 3 tankfuls....if that doesn't help you may need to tear the carbs down for a good cleaning.

Sounds like a nice find, get her running right and she'll be a fun little bike! :thumbs up:

Remember the jets are very small, you probably need to poke 'em-out w/a thin wire, and I bet you will solve the issues. I bet you already changed the fuel filter, or added one if you got it w/o one? Does it have one of those screw-off basins on the fuel valve petcock? You might want to check it for crud. I would also check the rubber lines for integrity and being intact, and not being pinched, or mis-routed, or dry-rotted. You should replace the fuel line as a matter of course.

I just bought & sold a same year Kawi parallel-twin w/belt drive, not an LTD but the sport model, cast aluminum wheels instead of spoked, CDI ignition, front single disc brake, drum rear, F & R chrome fenders. I rebuilt the carbs, new battery, cleaned the electrical connections, a couple of bulbs replaced. Oh, and 8700 miles, w/the original paperwork & the OEM toolkit. You probably would fit that better. It was a 440. One of my friends bought a 440 LTD new, he liked it, and was a lifelong bike owner, mostly mid-size bikes in the 500-750 cc range.

I also had a KZ305 parallel twin w/points. That was pretty-much an unsatisfying bike. I also bought it & then sold it after getting it running. No guts. Yes, what would you expect from a 305, right?

Last edited:
I'm fighting this battle with my wife's '83 GS550. Turned out to be a leaking carb float. Those old zooks use a vacuum actuated fuel valve so gas won't flow out of your tank unless the engine is running. So when you let the thing sit because it runs like crap and you're too busy to fix it the bowl level drops, the fuel in the float evaporates and the problem goes away until you ride it long enough for the float to fill up again. Just food for thought.

Don't feel bad I look like a damn circus bear on that bike too!

I say carbs cleaning gas filter check gas tank for rust. Check peacock for rust.

I say carbs cleaning gas filter check gas tank for rust. Check peacock for rust.

Like this?

images

Back