sounds question - no issue just wondering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
my old magna had real loud pipes so I could never hearr the engine. Since getting the max I want to know everything I can about bikes so I will ask dumb questions from time to time.

So when cold my max sometimes "coughs" from the air box like a little gust of air. Does it at low revs when cold - what is this. I need a carb job so may be related.

Why does the vmax make a whistle sound?

Why is my max engine louder when idling in neutral as appose to another gear?

Think that is all I have for now haha

So when cold my max sometimes "coughs" from the air box like a little gust of air. Does it at low revs when cold - what is this. I need a carb job so may be related.
usually it's because it's a bit lean when cold. Use the choke until warm..

Why does the vmax make a whistle sound?
Whistle? Hmm, not sure about that one.

Why is my max engine louder when idling in neutral as appose to another gear?
That would usually be clutch rattle. Does it go away when pulling the clutch lever in neutral?

ok coughing makes sense - but I seems to run real rich. Which brings me to the next question of what does your bike idle at with the choke on? Mine seems really high 5 or so then I can lower it to around 3500 but less than that it is off.

Whistle is slight - gets higher pitch when I accellerate, sounds cool and not loud at all. Sounds normal?

Also yes the noise goes when I pull the clutch lever in, even when in neutral

ok coughing makes sense - but I seems to run real rich. Which brings me to the next question of what does your bike idle at with the choke on? Mine seems really high 5 or so then I can lower it to around 3500 but less than that it is off.

This really sounds like you're in dire need of a good carb sync!

yes I am. In the next couple weeks my carbs will be cleaned and synched. Just rising as is right now.

carbs that are out of synch will increase the clutch rattle.

once yu get er tuned up and runnin smooth.....yu can back out yure pilot jet screws a half turn or so and that wil help to reduce the off idle carb pops.

"Whistle is slight - gets higher pitch when I accelerate, sounds cool and not loud at all. Sounds normal"?

This is the reason that Jap bikes got the nick name vacuum cleaner from the Hardly riders back in the day.
I don't mind the noise ,..I liken it to the sound of a super charger,. helps with the extra smile factor.

Back