Speeding ticket etiquette

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHY DID THIS POST DIE ? IT WAS GOING GOOD , I LOVE HEARING OTHER PEOPLES COP STORIES ! I'M THE ONLY ONE AROUND MY TOWN WITH ANY !

Yeah, I grew up in Potomac. I passed the cop going 100 on Tuckerman in my dad's '86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe.

Ahh the turbo coupe... Those were some sick little four bangers. I had a friend in high school with an '88. He has sunk a ton of money into it now, and it pushes around 425 hp.

All right, 5 pages of ticket controversy. Here's my best story: Back just after highschool while out late one night on my Yam XS1100, I was cruising down our main drag when the handlebar mounted radar detector started beeping. Our local Barney Fife (this Barney's gun was fully loaded) was backed into a personal driveway playing with his new radar toy. I slowed down to about 10MPH in a 30 and honked at him and waved with a big grin on my face.

Since he thought he was well hidden between the buildings in the dark, it pissed him off - greatly.

He came out with red lights and siren blaring, wrote me a ticket for IMPEDING TRAFFIC, for christ's sake. GOING TOO SLOW. I was furious and refused to sign the ticket. He called for backup. Things were very intense until the evening watch Captain showed up. The cool headed Captain scolded ole' Barney Fife. Had to order Barney to go back and find a real criminal and stop harrassing the teens cruising the strip.

Catastrophy avoided. I would have punched him. Then what..........?

Then there was the time he caught me really speeding, but couldn't positively identify me in court because I had been wearing my helmet during the incident..............case dismissed!

Oh, the memories.

I rarely, if ever pulled over unless I knew the cop already had the tag #.

Nowadays, I'd probably pull over and try to B.S. out of it. But I can better afford it if my ins. got higher, etc.

HEY jfeagins , THATS A GOOD STORY , THANKS ! AND FOR EVERYONE ELSE , LETS MAKE IT CLEAR , WHEN RUNNING THE POLICE , I NEVER WANT ANYONE TO CRASH , OR GET HURT ! I LIKE THE THRILL OF THE CHASE ! AND I LOVE GETTING AWAY ! THE POLICE GET PAID TO MAKE THAT JUDGEMENT CALL ! I'M FRIENDS WITH A LOT OF COPS , THEY ALL KNOW I'M A RUNNER , HELL, SOME WERE WITH ME WHEN I'D RUN LONG BEFORE THEY WHERE COP'S !

Ahh the turbo coupe... Those were some sick little four bangers. I had a friend in high school with an '88. He has sunk a ton of money into it now, and it pushes around 425 hp.

Yeah, they hooked me young. I have also had 3 SVO Mustangs and two Merkur XR4Ti's. All with the same 2.3T, obviously. They are essentially bulletproof little motors that can be built on the cheap. My ratted out Merkur street racer put 300 to the wheels with very little mods. Big turbo, mild cam, EEC Tuner, air to water intercooler with a 25 gallon reservoir of ice water in the hatch and 25 pounds of boost rammed down its gullet. Gotta love the boost!

Mike

All right, 5 pages of ticket controversy. Here's my best story: Back just after highschool while out late one night on my Yam XS1100, I was cruising down our main drag when the handlebar mounted radar detector started beeping. Our local Barney Fife (this Barney's gun was fully loaded) was backed into a personal driveway playing with his new radar toy. I slowed down to about 10MPH in a 30 and honked at him and waved with a big grin on my face.

Since he thought he was well hidden between the buildings in the dark, it pissed him off - greatly.

He came out with red lights and siren blaring, wrote me a ticket for IMPEDING TRAFFIC, for christ's sake. GOING TOO SLOW. I was furious and refused to sign the ticket. He called for backup. Things were very intense until the evening watch Captain showed up. The cool headed Captain scolded ole' Barney Fife. Had to order Barney to go back and find a real criminal and stop harrassing the teens cruising the strip.

Catastrophy avoided. I would have punched him. Then what..........?

Then there was the time he caught me really speeding, but couldn't positively identify me in court because I had been wearing my helmet during the incident..............case dismissed!

Oh, the memories.

I rarely, if ever pulled over unless I knew the cop already had the tag #.

Nowadays, I'd probably pull over and try to B.S. out of it. But I can better afford it if my ins. got higher, etc.

:clapping: Awesome Story !! I love the Barney Fife added in Some cops let that uniform get to there head and feel as they are over citizens
just because they are a cop doesnt mean they are law abiding some are just as crooked as the criminals
If the police didnt chase than I wouldnt have to run to make em look like failures:double angry bird: FTP
I dont rely on the police for nothing I protect myself plus it takes to long to get them out of the donut shop if you ever did need them for a crackhead breaking into your house

interesting thread. This topic comes up between my brother and i all the time. he is a state trooper. I love motorcycles. Have had many bikes since my first 1980 Kawasaki 500. Currently have in my stable an 01 vmax, 1500 with NOS and a 2008 Zx 14. Two years ago around Syracuse NY a trooper was killed while chasing a bike. As the story goes, the trooper, driving a suburban, was passed by a bike going the opposite direction. This happened on a road south of syracuse that is very hilly and curvy. visibility is 1/4 to 1/2 mile at best before loosing site over a hill or turn. The news report said the bike was doing in excess of 100mph. So this trooper decided to give chase. think about this for a minute. Driving a suburban with a top speed of ? on a curvy road. he has to swing around, accelerate to catch the bike. The biker allegedly saw the truck turn around and he accelerated (no evidence of this) just radio transmission from the trooper. As the story goes, the trooper lost control of his vehicle in a turn, hit a tree and died. the biker evaded.

the biker was eventually caught days later. arrested and convicted for manslaughter.

In NY state it is now felony to evade on a motorcycle thanks to this incident.

as a motorcyclist, i'm appalled that this rider was convicted of manslaughter. he was not behind the wheel of the suburban. the trooper should have called off the pursuit. i'm sorry for the death of the trooper. however his death is not the responsibility of the biker. it was the troopers decision to chase that caused his death. a 6000lb SUV is not going to catch a 500lb motorcycle.

what if the tables had been turned and the biker was was killed while being chased? would the trooper be convicted of manslaughter? would he have been in compliance with policy of break off the chase for just a traffic ticket?

since then the news media has been full of negative press about bikes and how fast they are and now we're all viewed as cop killing hoodlums.

the morel of the story? if you run in NY state, its a felony. If someone dies while chasing you, you'll be charged with manslaughter.

I was just chit chattin with some guys at Cycle World While waiting on my tire. There was a state trooper there who had a brand new 08 busa. He had a new exhaust put on it. Bad Ass lookin bike BTW. Anywho... he was telling us how troopers are being aloud to give chase more often now because bikes are eluding more and more and the bikes are getting more and more reckless. One guy was kicking cars and causing accidents while eluding. And more and more residents are complaining about reckless bikers wheeling down roads and racing. So they are complaining to their mayors and police chiefs to do more to stop these reckless bikers. So he said watch commanders are allowing high speed chases to get these eluders and reckless bikers off the roads. He also mentioned that bumping their rear tires while in high speed pursuits is now being considered to stop these guys.
Here in Florida they are debating a bill that confiscates your bike if your eluding and being reckless.
So far they have only passed part of the bill. $1000. fine for wheelie or 50mph or more over speed limit first offense, $2500. and 1 year suspension of DL for 2nd offense, and $5000. and 10 years suspension of DL for third offense.

wow interesting thread. I have ditched the cops a few times when I was younger. Turned off the road a few times her lately to avoid being seen. but I do not know if I would full on try to run from the cops anymore. I do know that most the guy's I ride with would not stop, so it would be another I have to out run you not the bear story.

A very good friend of mine I ride with was asked by the local sherriff "why do you keep running from us" he said "because you guy's are always chasing me"

The decision is up to each individual person you just have to be able to live with the results of your actions.

I was just chit chattin with some guys at Cycle World While waiting on my tire. There was a state trooper there who had a brand new 08 busa. He had a new exhaust put on it. Bad Ass lookin bike BTW. Anywho... he was telling us how troopers are being aloud to give chase more often now because bikes are eluding more and more and the bikes are getting more and more reckless. One guy was kicking cars and causing accidents while eluding. And more and more residents are complaining about reckless bikers wheeling down roads and racing. So they are complaining to their mayors and police chiefs to do more to stop these reckless bikers. So he said watch commanders are allowing high speed chases to get these eluders and reckless bikers off the roads. He also mentioned that bumping their rear tires while in high speed pursuits is now being considered to stop these guys.
Here in Florida they are debating a bill that confiscates your bike if your eluding and being reckless.
So far they have only passed part of the bill. $1000. fine for wheelie or 50mph or more over speed limit first offense, $2500. and 1 year suspension of DL for 2nd offense, and $5000. and 10 years suspension of DL for third offense.

I'm pretty sure that if I decide to run,No cop is going to get his bumper anywhere near my tire.

Probably not where you live Shawn, But here in Florida, traffic can bottle you up pretty quick.

Traffic is interesting in Fla. I relocated with my job to Jackassville, Fla. Lived there for 1.5 yrs and that was enough. Been chased once in a city called Ponte Vedra where all the white collared Hardley riders are. I dont think Barney Fife ever seen a VMAX which he did for about 3 mins of chase.
When traffic gets heavy jump the sidewalk:eusa_dance:

GREAT REPLY'S EVERYONE , FATMAX'S STORY IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, PAID ALOT TO MAKE DECISIONS , HE MADE A POOR ONE ! WHY WOULD ANYONE CHASE A MOTORCYCLE WITH A SUBURBAN ? I FEEL FOR THE MANS FAMILY ! & I'M SORRY IT HAPPEND , BUT IT BEING THE GUY ON THE BIKES FAULT , " NO WAY " , WHAT IF THE GUY ON THE BIKE DID'NT SEE THE COP , AND WAS JUST CRUISING AT 95 MPH'S ,OR MORE , TWO DAY'S LATER , HE READS ABOUT IT IN THE PAPER , AND THE NEXT DAY THEY COME & LOCK HIM UP FOR IT & CHARGE HIM FOR MANSLAUGHTER ? THATS BULLSHIT ! THIS IS STILL AMERICA ! I LOVE MY 5 YEAR OLD SON MORE THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH , AND WOULD NEVER WANT HIM TO GROW UP WITHOUT ME ! IF I WAS A COP I WOULD NEVER CHASE A MOTORCYCLE ! NEVER ! BUT THATS MY DECISION ! RIGHT ! AND HIS WAS HIS ! AND I SECOND , NO COP WILL EVER GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO MY BACK TIRE TO HIT IT :punk:

I have to agree with you on the chasing a bike through the mountain roads in a suburban(maybe a harley lol). That is stupid, last time I checked the cops had radios.....

Why is it every episode of cops when they have a motorcycle chase its either a drunk harley rider with his red neck chick on the back drinking a can of busch beer or a 1973 Honda 350
Why dont they ever show the BUSA's Gixxers ZX's etc:ummm:

Yeah that is sad for that cops family he made a bad decision and now his family has to pay
Is it really worth a cop to put his life in jeporady to catch a motorcycle I could see if it was a serious felon who just escaped the Federal Pen or a bank robber who shot and killed someone a hostage etc but come on is it really worth to chase a motorcycle car dirtbike ATV etc
I dont know but I am sure there are states that its illegal to chase they arent supposed to I know that unless they know the person has commited a crime

few nights ago merged into traffic on the highway redlined 4th..cop sitting there with gun must of been aiming it further down the highway...didnt hear me go by kept looking down the highway.....love the stock pipes

interesting thread. This topic comes up between my brother and i all the time. he is a state trooper. I love motorcycles. Have had many bikes since my first 1980 Kawasaki 500. Currently have in my stable an 01 vmax, 1500 with NOS and a 2008 Zx 14. Two years ago around Syracuse NY a trooper was killed while chasing a bike. As the story goes, the trooper, driving a suburban, was passed by a bike going the opposite direction. This happened on a road south of syracuse that is very hilly and curvy. visibility is 1/4 to 1/2 mile at best before loosing site over a hill or turn. The news report said the bike was doing in excess of 100mph. So this trooper decided to give chase. think about this for a minute. Driving a suburban with a top speed of ? on a curvy road. he has to swing around, accelerate to catch the bike. The biker allegedly saw the truck turn around and he accelerated (no evidence of this) just radio transmission from the trooper. As the story goes, the trooper lost control of his vehicle in a turn, hit a tree and died. the biker evaded.

the biker was eventually caught days later. arrested and convicted for manslaughter.

In NY state it is now felony to evade on a motorcycle thanks to this incident.

as a motorcyclist, i'm appalled that this rider was convicted of manslaughter. he was not behind the wheel of the suburban. the trooper should have called off the pursuit. i'm sorry for the death of the trooper. however his death is not the responsibility of the biker. it was the troopers decision to chase that caused his death. a 6000lb SUV is not going to catch a 500lb motorcycle.

what if the tables had been turned and the biker was was killed while being chased? would the trooper be convicted of manslaughter? would he have been in compliance with policy of break off the chase for just a traffic ticket?

since then the news media has been full of negative press about bikes and how fast they are and now we're all viewed as cop killing hoodlums.

the morel of the story? if you run in NY state, its a felony. If someone dies while chasing you, you'll be charged with manslaughter.
how did they catch the kid on the bike a few days later...did they have the plate number from the way the story was told i wouldent thing so

Back