Speedometer crapped the bed. Which of you have operated before?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Was out for a nice ride last night and the speedometer made enough noise that I thought it was going to fly apart and spray shards of plastic at my face.... The needle went way past 150 and pegged on the stopper, where it continued to shimmy and vibrate until the needle separated from the shaft. The unit is old and has been noisy for quite some time but the cable probably has only 500 miles on it.

What's the best way to get into the speedometer without trashing it? On my old XS11, I had to pry around the edges and generally bugger up the speedometer to get inside. Afterwards, it would never seal out the moisture properly.

Mine is the '85 model speedometer and shows around 35k miles. Does anyone have a similar make/mileage unit they are willing to part with?

If not, is there a write up on how to get into one of these?

My advice is to slow down a little next time after you get it replaced. That shimmy and vibration you felt may have been the front end getting ready to tank slap on you as you crested the 150mph mark. Wow!

Hope you don't run into any law enforcement at those speeds. LOL

Just kidding. I'd recommend ebay too.

http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers-series-2700-2800.php

The all in one unit w/ tach and touble lights starts about $120. That will free up your intrument pod for water temp, oil press and volt meter gauges :biglaugh:

Or I could sell you my stock speedo off the '07 for $75 priority shipping included. Its mint, with 1041.8 miles on it. Lemme know if your interested.

Attachments

• acewell-speedometer.jpg
    acewell-speedometer.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ace2803ab-s.jpg
    ace2803ab-s.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 19
Can the speedo be serviced :ummm:

My trip meter won't reset to zero.

Can the speedo be serviced :ummm:

My trip meter won't reset to zero.
Gleno I will have a look in the garage tomorrow .I've got 2 stashed in there somewhere and Otto's Instruments can fix just about every speedo known to man.I have their number at work but I am sure they are in Brisbane.Definitely worth a call.Cheers Kevman

The late model speedo's have a cooler font and are missing the stupid red 55 on the face too.

Chris

Here is a pic of the speedo I'm selling.

Attachments

• 20-03-09_0717.jpg
    20-03-09_0717.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20-03-09_0718.jpg
    20-03-09_0718.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 15
Mine is sitting on the washing machine atm. I've decided I prefer to run without it, it's one less thing to look at and taking it off cleans up the front end nicely.

I priced the Assembly, Bracket and Cover at $270. So I figure this is a fair price, for someone who needs it.

Damn. did I miss the $70 dollar speedometer? DFDASFSDF!#@!!!

Been so busy at work I couldn't check the forum. :confused2:

http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers-series-2700-2800.php

The all in one unit w/ tach and touble lights starts about $120. That will free up your intrument pod for water temp, oil press and volt meter gauges :biglaugh:

Or I could sell you my stock speedo off the '07 for $75 priority shipping included. Its mint, with 1041.8 miles on it. Lemme know if your interested.

I heard somewhere that the one on the left fits in the orignal speedo housing , is this correct and has anyone gor one of these . What are they like ? :ummm:

KJ I will take yours for sure if Shuriken doesn't bite on it. Where can I get a cable as well? Mine is noisy as hell and my needle bounces quite a bit on my speedo but I thought noise was in the cable?

Let me know asap!

I think that VmaxinID picked up KJ's speedometer the day KJ offered it up. VmaxinID may have his old one up for sale though...shoot him a PM...GREAT guy!

Back