Speedometer is ugly/dirty

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
After 9 years and 36,500 miles and more washes with a pressure washer than I can count my speedometer is finally gotten dirt inside of it.

It's like a dirty haze that seems to be building up at the top from the being driven up there by the heat of the bulbs maybe?

Anyway, I did the bulb mod, with orange ones in the speedo and instrument to match my DJ Wideband Commander A/F guage and it turned out super, wished I had have done it a long time ago but delayed unitl I lost one bulb in the inst. cluster and one in the speedo and had to do it.........

While I had it off the bike I think I figured out that the speedometer is impossible to dissasemble and clean the face and glass without actually bending and probably destroying the stainless crimp ring that holds it together.......I suppose they made it that way for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know how to get it apart to clean the glass and guage face without ruining it?

Thanks

Rusty

Um, don't you mean 9 years and 3,650 miles? :th_hit:

OOWWW!!!!!!

no 36,500 for sure...:biglaugh:

Actually it's 4 years and 27,200 since I bought it in '04 with 9300, it didn't look as if it had ever been ridden when I got it,....those days are gone for sure...

IF IT COMES TOTALY APART , LANKEEYANKEE WOULD NO ! :punk:

You mean "come apart" as in a total mechanical failure while under extreme duress resulting in the needle flying through the side if the case like a missile, the spring launching through the glass and embedding in the riders faceshield and the speedo case looking like a used hand grenade????????

I bet he would......:rofl_200:

You mean "come apart" as in a total mechanical failure while under extreme duress resulting in the needle flying through the side if the case like a missile, the spring launching through the glass and embedding in the riders faceshield and the speedo case looking like a used hand grenade????????

I bet he would......:rofl_200:

Thanks Rusty, I got a good laugh out of this one!!! :biglaugh::rofl_200::biglaugh:

danny

IF IT COMES TOTALY APART , LANKEEYANKEE WOULD NO ! :punk:

YES, It does come apart. I have had mine apart but dont care to share the reasons why.
You do have to have lots of patience removing the ring. Use the correct tools for removing and installing with some extra time on your hands and it will be fine.

Washing your speedometer with a pressure washer?? Serious?
I keep a zip lock bag under my seat for when I goto the car wash, cover the speedo and the monster tach. Dont direct the high pressure in any bearing seals, electronics. I clean the speedo with a rag and bug and tar remover. When you pressure wash your actually doing harm if not done properly you force dirt in rather than off, but I am sure you learned that now without me telling you.

Warning Dont apply direct water pressure to your swingarm it could break!

Ohh well atleast I tried. Try pouring some sea foam in your speedo. That sea foam is almost as good as duct tape and WD-40

Warning Dont apply direct water pressure to your swingarm it could break!

Ohh well atleast I tried. Try pouring some sea foam in your speedo. That sea foam is almost as good as duct tape and WD-40

:cheers:

Seriously tho'..my pressure washer is adjustable, it's no stronger than the car wash when done right...

I don't think I ever got any water in tit, at least haven't ever seen any moisture, just this little "dirt cloud" forming at the top.....

I think I will try your seafoam method now......

Rusty

Mine has a foggy looking haze at the top as well. I've never washed mine with anything but a garden hose. Mine appeared after using some sort of window cleaner on the tach trying to remove some bugs. Not sure how that got in but it appears that it did. It's beginning to sound like it will stay that way too. :sad2:

Back