Sport Max Seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieK2

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has experience with the Sport Max seat from Blueridge Mountain. It looks to be a really nice seat. Has anyone dealt with Blueridge that could comment on speed of delivery, quality etc?
Thanks
PS
Finally riding here in Alberta, suppose to get into the 70F range today and sunny, gotta love it.

I have one that I got second hand so I can't attest to service but the quality is top notch. Personally I find it to be the best looking of the replacement seats matched to my needs ( I'm running a solo seat after market rear render). I haven't had any experience with any other suppliers' seat to compare and contrast in that regards.

Compared to the stock seat the Sport Max will have you noticeably forward, you will feel it instantly. You will be lower too but that isn't as noticeable till you put your feet on the pegs. This could be good or bad depending on your stature. You might find yourself thinking you fixed the seat but need new pegs now. I did; after a few miles my knees adjusted and it seems natural. There is no doubt that the seat does give you a more locked in feeling-you aren't going anywhere! The time between mandatory 'I'm in pain' stops doubled for me putting it comfortable past the mandatory 'I'm out of gas' range. That is to say I can go for just over two fuel tanks before I feel the need to take a twenty minute brake. I attribute that to the 'locked in' trait of the seat.

Final analysis: I am very happy with the seat. What I (conceivably) lose in all day comfort is a fair trade in my view for, what I feel, is a much more 'part of the machine' experience. While touring or even commuting is certainly possible on a vmax, it isn't where it's heart is. For me, this seat increased the comfort while increasing the purpose of the bike. That said I am not so impressed with the comfort as to be willing to say it is the most comfortable seat possible having not tested the others.

My opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
John is currently looking for a new seat upholsterer to work with. His current guy is taking was too long for John and his customers per a Facebook post.
Here is John's FB Post in the Yamaha V-max group:

"John Furbur - Our motorcycle seat builder in CO has become completely unreliable, so we are looking for someone else to build SportMax seats...(HOPEFULLY somewhere close to the Lehigh Valley area...) Looking for a good (+ reasonable) upholsterer, who actually finishes what they says they will,...WHEN they say they will...(Pretty simple concept, actually...) Could be up to 5-10 seat sets at a time (once our reputation for timely turnaround is restored...) Any & all recommendations would be greatly appreciated."

I'm sure John would appreciate any leads you could give him.

Hopefully this happens sooner than later, it looks like a fine seat and reasonably priced as well.

"John Furbur - Our motorcycle seat builder in CO has become completely unreliable, so we are looking for someone else to build SportMax seats...(HOPEFULLY somewhere close to the Lehigh Valley area...) Looking for a good (+ reasonable) upholsterer, who actually finishes what they says they will,...WHEN they say they will...(Pretty simple concept, actually...) Could be up to 5-10 seat sets at a time (once our reputation for timely turnaround is restored...) Any & all recommendations would be greatly appreciated."

I hear they's one in Kansas...:thumbs up:

Nice looking seat Klatuu! I have a cut down Morley seat too and it is like a easy chair! I've had mine since 2008 (minor seat height revision in 2010 by Sean) and it is still looking good and is more comfortable now than when I received it! I have attached pictures from 2012, 2010 and 2008.
IMG_1777.jpg IMG_1259.jpg IMG_2769.jpg
ErnieK2: Sean's Morley Muscle seats are well built and he will even customize it to your liking. He is a great vendor and will help you in any way possible.

John is currently looking for a new seat upholsterer to work with. His current guy is taking was too long for John and his customers per a Facebook post.
Here is John's FB Post in the Yamaha V-max group:

Do you have a link to that group? There are multiple hits for Yamaha V-max, none of which seem right.

I can tell you about my horror story with Furbur. I bought and paid for one of his seats over a year ago. No seat. No refund. No core. And now, no response. John Furbur is a class act. (read: extreme sarcasm)

Absolutely love mine. Top notch quality, 25,000 miles in the saddle and looks as good as it did the say I received it. Service was fine. This was back in 2005. He farms them out to someone else. Not sure who.

You can see mine in albums in my profile.

If you are really long legged or looking for a cruiser seat I've heard people complain about it. It will put you way down on the bike and feel more sport bike like, and your knees will be bent more too.
Personally I like the seating position. I'm 6" and am using rear sets along with it. Totally changes the feel and controllability of the bike combined with better, "less sit up and beg" style handlebars.

Since then I've heard from a guy who used to work in Pythons shop that he doesn't even have a physical address anymore and service is not so good.

I'd take it with a grain of salt tho' rumors being what they are.

Last edited:
I seem to be the only one that hates the cut-down seats. Had a SportMax and the quality was fine. Just after one full tanks ride my privates were toast. You are forced into one position and every time you brake hard your nuts are mashed. Plus the front curve forces the seat to have constant contact with them. Very uncomfortable! Around town was ok. Went to Waco TX for some BBQ on a Sat ride with pals. It is a 160 mile round trip. Removed the seat and bought a Corbin immediately thereafter. Had a Corbin on my first Max and took up to 3500 mile in 7 days trips with no problems other that heat on hot days. Use a sheepskin pad on hot days now. But that would be a problem on any seat in Texas... :biglaugh:

Back