Stage 7 jet sizes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rags260z

Reaction score
Hi All,

First some background. Purchased my 06 last year from an original owner who had installed from what I was told, a Stage 7 kit and a 4-1 Kerker. I was never really satisfied with how the bike ran so I dropped it off to be serviced. The shop told me the slides had been drilled and needed to be replaced. I had that done and the bike runs much worse now. So cough it up to being lazy, time to figure out what is going on for myself.
Looking at the plugs I find the bike to be running very lean. Clip was in the third slot so I tried the fourth slot. A little better but still far from perfect. Just off idle is where it runs worst. So I look at the PAJ1 and 2. They are 100 and 170 respectively. Does the 100 PAJ1 sound too big? I don't know what size comes with a Stage 7 or if they are even changed with that kit. What I also found was the a/f idle mixture screws are already out 4.5 turns. Having never tuned one of these bikes before I'd like to know if I'm heading in the right direction with suspecting PAJ1 being too large and also, can someone tell me what size jets come with a Stage 7? One additional bit of info is the V-Boost has been removed, if that matters.
Thanks in advance.

Joe

sounds like a cali bike ......
ya I'd change the 100 jets to 90....try three turns out.... back to clip 3 or 2.5 and you will need to see what main jets are in there.....
float hieght wet setting should be checked on the bike and also stixk plug and gap......start there and see.
I got same set up and mine runs pretty good.

you have the k&n filters....will have to make sure you got air correctors in them to run properly also.

as for jets I'd start off with a dj 160 . the mikuni and dj jets are not same sizes so need to know which is in there besides the number

Mains are 152.5 so I'm assuming they are Mikuni jets. Is there any way to tell the difference between Mikuni and DJ jets?

ya that would be a mik jet.....there is a funny square marking and number for mikuni.....there are threads if u do a search that have them.
so with that jet you should be fine.....
and your clip position u mean four from top....I assume

I bet you get part throttle popping right? think that's what they tried to fix with 4.5 turns out....

Funny thing is it doesn't pop. Just stumbles really bad. I also thought the 4.5 out was trying to tune around jetting that was too lean. So am I correct in thinking the 100PAJ1 is causing the lean condition just off idle?

I'm going to swap to 90's now.

Just saw this, "you have the k&n filters....will have to make sure you got air correctors in them to run properly also." What are "air correctors"? Is there a picture of them somewhere so I can tell if I have them?

cuz the pod filters let in too much air......the orfice under the fillter...or as you look down on the carb...next to the jet your gonna chg there shiuld be a brass restrition plug inserted.....I'm sure there is a pic in carb section....as it sounds like whom ever installed your kit before u did it all I'm sure they are there but take a look....

Making progress. 90's are in, A/F idle mixture screws are around 2.5 out. Started right up and now warming up. I'm going to see how things are before moving to slot 3 on the needles. Thanks for the help tugla, I should have come here first before shelling out almost a grand!

good luck......if all running well try the 4000rpm in 4th gear.......keep it steady for a bit then wack it.....and see how she acts....

slides only need to be replaced if they were cracked or you didn't want to mess w/the aftermarket replacement CV rubbers, if the stock rubbers were ripped. You could epoxy over the big hole drilled & re-drill the stock size hole if you wanted to return the carbs to stock.

good point....it try and get your old slides back if you chg them already....

She runs much better with the 90's! Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a set of 92.5's to lean it out just a tad. Now that I understand which jet effects what part of the operating range, the fine tuning has begun :)

pretty sure it will be good with the 90....
there is a yhread with everyone's stg 7 set ups check it out.

float height will make big diff .....
did u try cclip three

Thanks for the help tugla, I should have come here first before shelling out almost a grand!

Makes me sick...$1000 to make the bike worse. Overall, my experience with Bike mechanics has been very poor. Especially when it come to the VMAX.

Well I just pulled the bike out from it's long winter nap and I'm still not satisfied with the tune on this thing. I'm still thinking it goes way lean as soon as you crack open the throttle even the slightest bit. Since everyone seems to be using 90 air adjusters with a stage 7, I'm assuming air corrector changes isn't going to be my fix. Is there anything else that can effect off idle like the air correctors do?

if you're running pods there is not a practical way around not needing the correctors

I think the correctors are there. I think the next thing I'm going to do is take a video of what I'm experiencing. Idle-ok, cruise-ok, acceleration-ok, transition from idle to anything but idle-sucks!

Back