Started my swingarm project...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I've made one of my rim conversions and customer asked me about getting as small
clearance as possible. So he get 3mm and few weeks later he resend it to make it more cuz hes swingarm was grinded by the tyre. 8-10 mm is a minimum since then.

Srk, you will grind the swingarm with the setup you have made and no doubt of it - I can even bet.

8mm comes out to .315" so just a tad over 5/16" so real close to 1/4" my point about the tire growth is very close.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Well I saw pics you posted on 4th page - did I missed something cuz it looked like 2mm?

Actually its a little over 4mm right now but as I said earlier in the thread I am going to move it to 3/8" or 9.5mm just to be safe, I can move it that far and still have clearance for my nitrous bottle.

thanks for turning the thread around guys. this is a good thread to keep open i'd hate to close it. please keep the updates coming srk!

thanks for turning the thread around guys. this is a good thread to keep open i'd hate to close it. please keep the updates coming srk!

Will do, as soon as I kick this damn ebola virus that I have!! LOL Probably was part of the reason I've been kinda cranky here lately...

I tend to think that because Metzeler didn't give a recommended clearance, only a minimum, that they are saying you need 1/4" + a "bit more".
Suitably vague for legal liability reasons, maybe.

I tend to think that because Metzeler didn't give a recommended clearance, only a minimum, that they are saying you need 1/4" + a "bit more".
Suitably vague for legal liability reasons, maybe.

Actually it's my opinion that it's the opposite, they recommend 1/4" just to be safe because of rocks and road debris. I've posted all the evidence I feel necessary and won't dwell on this any longer, let's all just "agree to disagree" at this point...

Actually it's my opinion that it's the opposite, they recommend 1/4" just to be safe because of rocks and road debris. I've posted all the evidence I feel necessary and won't dwell on this any longer, let's all just "agree to disagree" at this point...

Not disagreeing with you sir! :biglaugh:
I love your attitude and like the opinions expressed. You are the one willing to put your money where your mouth is, which means a lot to me.
Thanks for your response! Rock on! :punk:

Not disagreeing with you sir! :biglaugh:
I love your attitude and like the opinions expressed. You are the one willing to put your money where your mouth is, which means a lot to me.
Thanks for your response! Rock on! :punk:

Thanks Baz, I've had the flu so I've been a little jumpy... LOL not to mention I'm bored as hell sittin on my couch and its driving me crazy! :banghead: looking forward to finishing this thing up hopefully tomorrow

I have opted to get a custom made speedo mounting and inner rear fender on my bike. I just don't have the skills and tools to do what I want.
The person who is doing that has had my upper triple and bars for about 6-8 weeks and hasn't f*ing started yet.
I know what it is like to not be able to do something!
Can't even measure up the brake and clutch lines. Grrrr.
Give me my parts, bitch!

I have opted to get a custom made speedo mounting and inner rear fender on my bike. I just don't have the skills and tools to do what I want.
The person who is doing that has had my upper triple and bars for about 6-8 weeks and hasn't f*ing started yet.
I know what it is like to not be able to do something!
Can't even measure up the brake and clutch lines. Grrrr.
Give me my parts, bitch!

Lmao! I feel ya bro, I'm lucky because I have lots of friends who are great machinists and I can handle 99% of my own fabrication stuff. Hope you get your stuff back soon bud!

Swingarm is all finish welded and air tight, think I'm going to make the bottle brackets before I move the shocks because there is less clearance with it lowered 2.5" so if I set it up this way the suspension should bottom out before the bottle would ever hit anything. Also I did move the front crossmember, I have 3/8" now or about 9.5mm for our friends across the pond.
43ae8afb-4bb5-eea2.jpg
43ae8afb-4bcf-28ca.jpg

Is it just me or does that brake side tube look like it's not parallel before and after the extension? It really doesn't make any difference provided the axle is parallel to the pivot point in both the vertical and horizontal positions.

You could run some ZRX rear shocks which are 1.25" longer then stock. This gives the piggy back KYB's and less work required to move the shocks. You could make your offset bracket for the driveside yourself or pick one up from PCW.

You could increase the volume of the airtank a bit by drilling through the brace and arm and then weld the hole up in the brace leaving the hole through the main tube so that air can get into the brace tubing too.

Sean

Is it just me or does that brake side tube look like it's not parallel before and after the extension? It really doesn't make any difference provided the axle is parallel to the pivot point in both the vertical and horizontal positions.

You could run some ZRX rear shocks which are 1.25" longer then stock. This gives the piggy back KYB's and less work required to move the shocks. You could make your offset bracket for the driveside yourself or pick one up from PCW.

You could increase the volume of the airtank a bit by drilling through the brace and arm and then weld the hole up in the brace leaving the hole through the main tube so that air can get into the brace tubing too.

Sean

Not just you Sean, it isn't exactly parallel but the axle is square both vertically and horizontally so its just not as pretty as it could be but you'll never see it with the pipe on the bike and at ride height. I thought about trying to use the zrx shocks but they are pretty expensive so I'll just move the lower shock mount on the brake side and make a bracket for the shaft side and probably get the 12" 412 progressive's. The brace is pressured too, I drilled a hole in the swingarm on the brake side before I welded the brace complete and it worked out great, way more air volume than the air bottle I had on there :)

Finished up my nitrous bottle mount, just need a hose clamp to lock it in and its not going anywhere. Today I'm going to gusset from the new crossmember to the front of the arm to add some strength from moving the crossmember back and then the swingarm will be done for the time being. I'm going to wait on moving the shocks for now till I get the forks done with the new front tire that way I can set the rear ride height exactly where I want it.
43ae8afb-8777-6e12.jpg

Well I think I burned off my fingerprints but the new shocks are on and relocated, I went with the 11.5" ones because I kinda needed to limit suspension travel to 2.5" because at 2.75" things start rubbing.. LOL being that the new shocks are shorter I actually moved them forward farther that what they were factory but I like the ride height here and I know nothing will hit now but it'll probably ride a little rough... Tomorrow I'm going to weld on the tab for the brake stay and get that made and it will be time to start cleaning things up and getting ready for paint :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326608876818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326608876818.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1326608907069.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326608907069.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1326608930794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326608930794.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1326608952312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326608952312.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 56
Looks really good :clapping:
Does your bottle have a pickup tube in it?
If so, upside down isn't the way to go. You'll end up spraying gas instead of a liquid.

Back