Starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
After installing my new Odyssey battery, which seems to hit the starter a lot harder; I'm noticing something different about the sounds I'm getting out of the starter clutch

Example;
Using a voltmeter with a min/max recording feature, with my old, still good battery the voltage would dip to about 10 volts on starting from it's normal 12.75

With the new battery it dips from around 13.3volts down to about 11.6volts and spins like hell.

What I've noticed tho' is that since the new battery, every once in a while the starter clutch makes all kinds of fucked up noises, not spinning completely free or anything but like a very, very short free-spin and then a HARD bang when it engages.

Is this a sprag type clutch? I've never been into it so don't know.

And is this is a sign of impending failure?

The bike has 32,000 miles on it and it's a '99

Thanks,

Rusty

Last edited:
This sounds like the common problem of the 3 bolts starting to back out that hold the starter clutch in place. You will have to pull the flywheel to get at it. Once there Loctite the 3 bolts. You will probably find they have backed out. This should be looked at as soon as possible.

This sounds like the common problem of the 3 bolts starting to back out that hold the starter clutch in place. You will have to pull the flywheel to get at it. Once there Loctite the 3 bolts. You will probably find they have backed out. This should be looked at as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Yeah and if they haven't I would replace the starter straight away... I look at weird noises as the way the bike tells me NOT to ride it until it's fixed...:whistlin:

How long to do this fix, mine seems to be doing the same thing.

The procedure doesn't take that long...IF.. the flywheel comes off easy. They are tight and you need a proper puller for it.

Ok I looked at the manual and I dont see the three bolts.
Got a pic or something for me to go on.
I have a 92 VMAX

Hello,

Yes, the flywheel can be REALLY tight. I took mine away yesterday and while doing it I was little bit worried about whether the three 8mm bolts (that connect the puller into the flywheel) will be able to handle it without getting their threads f**k*d up...

Once you can get the flywheel removed, you can take the big sprocket behind it away and see the three hex bolts holding the starter clutch assembly connected with the back side of the flywheel. The thread sizes of the hex head (allen) bolts is 8mm. Mine were somewhat loose so I'm going to get grease remover and locktite to fix the problem. If this will help, the problem is probably solved today.

So the hardest part was definitely removing the flywheel. First gave it some heat with a heat gun, then couple of hits with hammer via brass mandrell into the head of the crankshaft, and then used the flywheel puller with BIG FORCE.

Better to get yourself a good puller to complete it... Hopefully it goes fine!
punk0000.gif

If you can get the flywheel off without spending too much time, the whole procedure from draining the oil until completed takes probably such a time that you can listen AC/DC, Deep Purple or whatever suitable CD ones or twice there...
eusa_dance.gif

Regards,

AT

Last edited:
Back