Steering Damper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2OLD2CARE

Reaction score
Hello All,
I recently acquired a 94 VMAX and have been just getting to know the bike. One thing that seems greatly lacking is corner stability. I know the tires are down to 20% and need to be replaced, but that wont fix the whole problem. Is there an "affordable" bolt on steering damper, similar to the "Scotts Performance" unit found on sport bikes? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
2old2care.

You will find two things about the Max that add up to the lack of stability:

1) Poor suspension.

That can be remedied with better shocks (ie Progressive) on the rear, and either better springs (ie Progressive) and heavier oil or Ricor Intimators in the front forks.

2) Frame flex.

The Max is VERY heavy. Its frame struggles with that, especially at high speed. Popular remedies include frame braces (bolted or welded), solid motor mounts instead of rubber (adds vibes but makes the engine a stressed member helping with rigidity), braced swingarms, and then going for big $$, lighter wheels (with radial tires), upside-down front forks, ?hlins shocks, etc..

But the steering damper, well, I thought about it too, but I don't think it'll help all that much.

+1 to that and I have found that the high profile tires also give cornering that teeter-totter effect but I have progressive springs in the front and air shocks in the rear from my old honda 900. and, my front is lowered 2 3/4 "
and 2" in the rear so cornering for me has improved greatly.
It`s good to Know that there is yet another local max rider .:eusa_dance:
I`m interested in forming a So. Cal. vmax club.:biglaugh::biglaugh:
<<Dave>>:punk:

Hi Dave,
I admit I haven't seen too many of our bikes around. Not sure there would be much of a showing. Where in so-cal are you?

I guess I should at least respond, I have the progressives front and back, lowered 2" at each end, solid motor mounts and bolt-on frame brace. I guess I'm going to have to get a bit creative and engineer something from what's on the market. The rotary damper from Scott's Performance seems like the best fit.

Unlike on a sportbike, a steering dampner on a VMax is just covering up a problem with the suspension, tires or steering bearings. When everything is set properly you shouldn't be having stability issues when cornering. The best mod for handling and cornering is getting radial tires for the bike.

Unlike on a sportbike, a steering dampner on a VMax is just covering up a problem with the suspension, tires or steering bearings. When everything is set properly you shouldn't be having stability issues when cornering. The best mod for handling and cornering is getting radial tires for the bike.
Thanks Buster, tires are next on the list.

Bear in mind that you can't get radial tires for the Vmax wheels (rear anyway) - you need to actually upgrade the wheels to do so - and it's big $$..

Latest posts

Back