- Sticky Rear Radials For 18" Rims? -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warp12

Reaction score
I am probably changing wheels within the next 6 months. Right now I am strongly leaning towards a 17" setup, primarily because of tire selection. Since I plan to drag race the bike a bit, I want a very sticky tire. On my other bikes I use Michelin Power Ones...but I don't think there is anything nearly as sticky in 18" sizes? What is the stickiest rear 18" radial out there, and what sizes does it come in?

I am probably changing wheels within the next 6 months. Right now I am strongly leaning towards a 17" setup, primarily because of tire selection. Since I plan to drag race the bike a bit, I want a very sticky tire. On my other bikes I use Michelin Power Ones...but I don't think there is anything nearly as sticky in 18" sizes? What is the stickiest rear 18" radial out there, and what sizes does it come in?

Nothing really I know of, Shinko sells a 003 compound in a 180/55-18 but nobody makes anything in a 200/50-18 which is what I have.. Right now I have a Shinko verge which is an 011 compound I think and it hooks pretty good but I'll be leaving on a progressive nitrous setup this year so not sure it's gonna stick.. I wish Shinko would make a 003 stealth in the ultrasoft compound in a 200/50-18 cause I'd buy one and I know a bunch of gen 2 guys could sure use a sticky tire...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

The Shinko Verge is the stickiest 200 width 18" available. The Shinko Stealth is by far the stickiest 18" but it's only available in a 180 width.

The numbers 003, 011 are not related to what compound is used.

There are several Gen 2 owners using the Verge and are pretty happy with it. All of those bikes are making 185-195 HP RWHP.

I just mounted mine and so far it feels pretty good, but I'm still waiting to get out on a warm road surface to really put it to the test.

Nothing really I know of, Shinko sells a 003 compound in a 180/55-18 but nobody makes anything in a 200/50-18 which is what I have.. Right now I have a Shinko verge which is an 011 compound I think and it hooks pretty good but I'll be leaving on a progressive nitrous setup this year so not sure it's gonna stick.. I wish Shinko would make a 003 stealth in the ultrasoft compound in a 200/50-18 cause I'd buy one and I know a bunch of gen 2 guys could sure use a sticky tire...

I've drag raced with an 003 U-soft in 180/55 (17) on a 145 rwhp Suzuki 1000 without issue. It also spreads out nicely on a 6" rim, imo. The Shinkos are really heavy tires, though. Have you tried the 180??

With the Power Ones I have seen guys go 1.5 60's on 30+ psi (ZX-14, swb). I went 1.4x at 64" on 22 psi regularly. Of course you can't really compare V-Max wb to sportbike wb, because the 'Max has such a front end rake in comparison.

Been very pleases with the Avon Cobra 200/55-18's I've had.
Very confidence I spiriting and never had a bad moment with them

But I doubt they are as sticky as the Shinko's after hearing all the praise they get.

Ill probably give the Shinko's a try my self next time around.

Been very pleases with the Avon Cobra 200/55-18's I've had.
Very confidence I spiriting and never had a bad moment with them

But I doubt they are as sticky as the Shinko's after hearing all the praise they get.

Ill probably give the Shinko's a try my self next time around.

You're the first person I've heard that likes that tire. :ummm: Traction aside though tire "feel" can be a personal type of thing. People can have different opinions based on what feels good to them.

If I were going to be strictly street riding, I am sure the 18" tires would be great. No doubt that a Shinko 18" 003 in u-soft is sticky enough, but they also surely weigh 15 lbs (17's are about 14.5 lbs).

It doesn't sound like there are very many 18" options.

If you are using a stock swingarm you are limited on the tire size. On my 18" wheel the biggest tire I could fit was a 170/60-18. Had to do the washer swap to fit that one. My Kosman doesn't have a huge offset though. It does look better than most as it is centered instead of off to the right. Different wheels may allow up to a 180 tire. Need to check though.

If I were going to be strictly street riding, I am sure the 18" tires would be great. No doubt that a Shinko 18" 003 in u-soft is sticky enough, but they also surely weigh 15 lbs (17's are about 14.5 lbs).

It doesn't sound like there are very many 18" options.

That's true.....if you can go 17" that the way to go, many more options avaialble......

I was just passing on what the guys use with high hp bikes around here.. The Verge has been good to me but I can make it spin on my gen 1 and I'm a heavy guy... I have a notched swingarm and I offset my wheel to the right but it lines up perfect... Sounds like you should stick with a 17" so you'll have more tire options...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366423029422.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366423029422.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 26
I was just passing on what the guys use with high hp bikes around here.. The Verge has been good to me but I can make it spin on my gen 1 and I'm a heavy guy... I have a notched swingarm and I offset my wheel to the right but it lines up perfect... Sounds like you should stick with a 17" so you'll have more tire options...

That's a nice looking setup! My local track has incredible prep, fortunately. I guess it is just a matter of picking my compromise. :bang head:

Researching more today:

180/55/18

Bridgestone Exedra G850
Metzeler ME880
Avon Venom-R
Avon Cobra
Pirelli Night Dragon
Dunlop D207
Shinko 003

200/50/18

Metzeler ME 880
Bridgestone BT028G (Gen 2 Vmax oem tire)
Shinko Verge
Dunlop Elite 3

I have experience with the D207 on a ZX-12R; I don't like that tire very much. I know the Shinko 003 is heavy and has a flat profile. Outside of that, if you have tried one of these and have any feedback, that would be awesome! Thanks! :)

No problems sticking at the track with my +3" over arm, Carrozzeria wheels, and Shinko 200 tire.

No problems sticking at the track with my +3" over arm, Carrozzeria wheels, and Shinko 200 tire.

How much do you and the bike weigh? What tire psi do you run? What kind of 60'? Just trying to get an idea of the overall setup.

220lbs plus gear. low 1.70's most of the time on the 60'. More HP would allow for a quicker 60' (or a lot less weight lol). Normal PSI. Maybe with a big HP engine we'd need to mess with it but not with a stock chassis. IF you put a wheelie bar on there you'd need to go to a slick since you lose suspension that helps it stick

Besides the Carr's we sell I do have a stock wheel modified to accept a slick (and even has one on it already).

Besides the Carr's we sell I do have a stock wheel modified to accept a slick (and even has one on it already).

I am considering the Carrozzeria's. Definitely need a setup that is street-worthy. We have a set of the Carr's on a Hayabusa. I am just more partial to the 5-spoke style, but I don't see anything in a rear wheel like that. I know I can adapt a sportbike front wheel and/or fork setup.

I have also went 1.71 60' on mine but I weighed 293lbs in all of my gear... Think I was at 35psi and I'm also 3" extended but I have a stock wheel I sent to Kosman so it's substantially heavier than the Carr's...

Latest posts

Back