Still the top dog!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac Max

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took both the 1st gen and 2nd gen to the dragstrip Thursday night. The condition were not ideal, in the 80's and very humid. I must say the newer bike was pretty boring to make a pass on, being completely stock the horrible bog of the line and the problem of a clutch slippage issue at the top of the Rev range made for a very ho hum run when compared to the antics of the old bike. On the 85 I try to leave the line at 6500 and it's a handful, between trying to work the clutch to keep the front down and struggling to get your foot back on the left peg to make the second gear change before running out of rpm it's pretty exciting and makes the new bike pale in comparison in the kicks department. I did get one decent run in on the new bike after letting it sit a cool for a good spell. On that pass I got tire spin at the top of first, second, and I believe even third. It could have been clutch slippage in third but definitely spinning in the prior two gears as I felt it wiggle around. Well I geuss to end this long story I will say I kind of had mixed feelings but I'm glad to say the old girl is still "top dog" and that's pretty cool. I have a feeling this will change soon with maybe as little effort as adding an extra clutch spring and if not certainly with a cat delete and reflash. No matter how much faster it may become than the old bike, I doubt it will ever surpass it in drama...lol!20230629_201037.jpg20230701_104249.jpg

That sounds like a good time at the strip. Thaks for the report. Your Gen. 1 reaction time is great!

1/8 or 1/4, doesn't matter.
Just figured the 85 had to have some trix in it to be that close.
I had a 1993 and now I have a 2015 and they just seem like 2 different worlds.

Back