Stock Rear Brake Rotor Thickness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
I've got two service manuals ('85 OEM & '85-'03 Haynes) and both list minimum service thickness at 7.0mm. I assume this to be absolute.

Any rotors measuring less than 7.0mm should be thrown in the trash??

I have a spare rear rotor from my '86 with 6?,000 miles that measures 6.3mm. I just finished frying my '95 rotor because I failed to notice I was out of pads. It measures about 7.2mm but is toast.

Does anyone have newer rotors (and used ones) they could measure up and post the thickness here? I'm wondering how many of us are running around under spec and if I should just throw my spare on.

I try to do things as correctly as possible so things like this bother me.:bang head: On the other hand money is always tight and I don't like to throw out things just because.......

Thanks in advance.

WOW......25 views....no replies......don't all chime in at once....:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Mike, under .280 or 7mm rear or front, for older style rotors is the minimum. I myself would rather ditch them under this minimum. Mine were about .288 last year.
Steve

I'm of no help, I've got less that 4k on my bike's rear brake. I'm pulling my stock rear off the '07 next weekend.
I'm positive it's in spec. Lemme know if you want it. I also still have the fronts too, only put about 400 miles on them when I switched them over to the wavy rotors.

I just measured the rear and I'm 8.382mm (came in at .330" on the nose), I can't see the front too much different.

mike. the 'venture' rotors are different levels of wear

one is at like 6.7-6.9, one is like 6.5 - 6.6 and one is like 6.3-6.5

the vmax one is like 7.1-7.2.

mike. the 'venture' rotors are different levels of wear

one is at like 6.7-6.9, one is like 6.5 - 6.6 and one is like 6.3-6.5

the vmax one is like 7.1-7.2.

Those are what your used ones mic up too?? I would think the two model lines would use the same rotor...if anything the heavier Venture would have thicker ones? Thanks for the info.............

Those are what your used ones mic up too?? I would think the two model lines would use the same rotor...if anything the heavier Venture would have thicker ones? Thanks for the info.............

yup. basically.

well the venture's rotors are cast out of one solid piece. the vmax rear rotor has that star design with some metal plating put on

Re: Rear Brake Rotor Thickness and..... Where to buy?

I've got two service manuals ('85 OEM & '85-'03 Haynes) and both list minimum service thickness at 7.0mm. I assume this to be absolute.

Any rotors measuring less than 7.0mm should be thrown in the trash??

I have a spare rear rotor from my '86 with 6?,000 miles that measures 6.3mm. I just finished frying my '95 rotor because I failed to notice I was out of pads. It measures about 7.2mm but is toast.

Does anyone have newer rotors (and used ones) they could measure up and post the thickness here? I'm wondering how many of us are running around under spec and if I should just throw my spare on.

I try to do things as correctly as possible so things like this bother me.:bang head: On the other hand money is always tight and I don't like to throw out things just because.......

Thanks in advance
The Clymer manual states the rear rotor is 7.5 mm new, the front rotors measure 5.0 mm new.
With 56,000 kilometers on my bike, the front rotors measure 4.95 mm, and the pads are the originals, with about half their service life left.
The rear is a different story. The rotor measures 7.25 mm, and I'm working on my third set of brake pads . If this wear rate continues, I won't need a new rotor for awhile,(just more pads) but when I do, where is the best place to buy a stock rotor??
Cheers, Miles

:hijacked:Ive been thinkin of gettin wavey rotors for the front of my 85 and this thread reminded me of my questions...
1)its said that they wear out faster or eat brake pads...true?
2)will I have to modify to fit them on my old Max?
3)do they really make a difference you can feel?
4) OVERALL are they worth the investment?

Sorry,you can have your thread back now.

Re: Rear Brake Rotor Thickness and..... Where to buy?

The Clymer manual states the rear rotor is 7.5 mm new

I'd question that. Thats maybe what Clymer says is new. unless the years had different thickness. Just to make sure I measured right, I went out and measured the stock rear rotor on my 07 and once again it hit .330"/8.38mm even. Looking up in the service manual, it states 7mm minimuim.

Can anyone else comfirm this on thiers?

Page 434, table 2. Rotor thickness new is 7.5 mm. I also checked the thickness of the rotor at the extreme outer diameter, which is not touched by the pads when braking and it measured.................drum roll............7.5mm!
As you have probably gathered, KJ, I lead a terribly exciting life. Measuring brake rotor thickness on a Friday night. How much better can it get than that?????? Tomorrow should be equally dynamic, I'm planning to re-arrange my fridge magnets, and empty the lint screen on my clothes dryer.
Besides all that excitement, you HAVE given me the perfect excuse to make that Alaskan trip, just so I can check out your manly, extra thick rotor. No metaphors intended!
Cheers, Miles

Latest posts

Back