Strange symptoms...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my 2 cents....I would see if its a carb issue before messing with the valves.

Occams Razor... the idea that the most likely solution for an event is usually the simplest solution. So start with the simplest things to fix.....and then get more complex.

I don't have the luxury of getting the same gas every time. I mixed it this time because I knew 100% the 112 and the ethanol free were good to go. I guess I could have run straight ethanol free 87, eh? Dono. Never ran 87 alone.

I run regular 87 with 10% ethanol and it works fine.
87 Octane is what the Owners Manual calls for.
But if you are going to let the bike sit a while be sure to add some Sta-Bil Ethonal Treatment.
PS
I had my Valves checked at 26,000 miles (about 3 years ago) and they were still within specs.
I don't drag my bike at a track but I have ridden it fairly hard since I got it in 2001 with more than a few street drags involved over the years.

I don't have the luxury of getting the same gas every time. I mixed it this time because I knew 100% the 112 and the ethanol free were good to go. I guess I could have run straight ethanol free 87, eh? Dono. Never ran 87 alone.

Well the Vmax was designed to run on 87 octane.

Mixing unleaded and leaded creates a very high octane and volatile fuel. We used to do it racing outboard motors. Are your valve seats carboned up? I'd do a leak-down test and listen at the exhaust ports for leaking air. Just a thought.
Steve-o

Mixing unleaded and leaded creates a very high octane and volatile fuel. We used to do it racing outboard motors. Are your valve seats carboned up? I'd do a leak-down test and listen at the exhaust ports for leaking air. Just a thought.
Steve-o

Not sure that's correct. The formula for calculating octane (per Sunoco's website) is as follows: ( [ % Fuel A ] x [ Octane of Fuel A ] ) + ( [ % Fuel B ] x [ Octane of Fuel B ] ) = Octane of Mixture. That puts me at 99.5 octane.

Have you thought to check your fuel pump diaphragms to see if both are located properly, and that the pump is pumping proper pressure at all times? People tend to rev higher in 1st most often and it would therefore suck more fuel, and if the pump isn't replacing it fast enough, you might be running low in the carbs to create a lean condition.

What does the pump sound like when you first turn on the key after sitting a few minutes? While idling, do you hear the pump kicking on/off constantly, or only every so often?

Oddly, it appears the float height was set MORE richly when the carbs arrived to Danny. He set them all to approximately 17mm, therefore, leaning things out. Mind you, the bike ran great before. If I pull the shims from under the needles, it will be leaner yet. Symptoms are pointing to a rich condition, but this makes no sense. I'm starting to rethink something electrical.

Just remember the old rule " rich condition gets worse, lean gets better"

Just my 2 cents....I would see if its a carb issue before messing with the valves.

Occams Razor... the idea that the most likely solution for an event is usually the simplest solution. So start with the simplest things to fix.....and then get more complex.

I was going by him getting them back from dannymax-I haven't read yet where a set was wrongly rebuilt by the guru.

I was going by him getting them back from dannymax-I haven't read yet where a set was wrongly rebuilt by the guru.

LOL...let me explain. Danny set them up correctly....BUT....will put BACK what ever he was sent. Needles.....with shims...non stock jets...etc. After the floats were set at 17 mm, which is lean for a Vmax (and where they should be) the fuel requirements have probably changed a bit for the carbs.

Right... They've gone lean. My symptoms are presenting rich. Gonna pull shims out and see what happens (even though this is technically leaning it even more).

Sean usually recommends 147's mains, plus a .020 shim on the needle. I actually had better luck with 150's...but my floats were set up rich from the factory. All of this is dependent on elevation as well.

This should get you close.

Removed shims. Seemed to make no difference anywhere. Not at cruising, acceleration, etc. Symptoms were present for a bit then seemed to completely go away.

Back