Stripped A/F Mixture Screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Silverado

Reaction score
Hey guys, ran into some problems while doing the shotgun to the carbs a little while back. My A/F mixture screw was stuck so I have been soaking it with PB Blaster for a while hoping it would free up and when I went back to try again.....the head stripped. :bang head: Anybody have any luck getting them out without drilling and tapping? :ummm:

Give Sean Morley a shout, he's the only one I know that has been successfuly a high percentage of the time. His tag is one2dmax on this forum and email is [email protected].

Agreed,
Let Sean get them out for you. I had to use an easy out on one of mine and it was nerve-racking. I was just a hair away from ruining the carb body.

I don't see it mentioned very often but after you drill out the brass plugs to access the A/F screws, be sure to put a couple drops of oil in the recess's and plug them back up.
I looked for rubber plugs but ended up using plain old corks. Gotta keep the water away from the tension spring or it will rust and seize the screw.
I know this comes a little late Silverado, sorry. Good luck with your removal.

bag of 100 eh? Now at $4.34- there's inflation for ya ;-)

Did you or anyone else here buy a bag already? Seems to be a bit of a waste buying 100, but I most definitely need 4, as even tho I'm in FL, I'd rather my A/Fs never got near seizing...

If no-one has them I'm happy to buy a bag and post as many as required to anyone who needs 'em - let me know..

You can get plugs from http://www.mcmaster.com/

McMaster Part No: 85985K12

(bag of 100 black nylon unvented locking finishing plugs for $3.82)

Thanks Mark. Jeez, bag of 100!! Somebody's gotta have some extra's of them kicking around. Hell, I'd be glad to send someone a couple $'s for maybe 8 of them, just so I wouldn't have 96 extra plugs rolling around in the tool box!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Buying a bag of 100 to only use 4 is like the guy who went in the diner and asked for a whale sandwich. The cook said, "I can make one, but I hate to cut up the whole whale for just one sandwich!" :rofl_200: :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Count me in for two sets Naughty. I'm just south of you. Also, I have had success heating the area with a heat gun( do I have to explain not on high setting?!), soaking with the PB and then... tapping the back of my screwdriver with a small hammer while it is set in the head of the screw maybe ten or fifteen times and some what hard or should I say, not lightly. I walk away for an hour to let the penetrant do its magic, heat and tap and spray again. Only then do I try a twist. As soon as I get some movement, I go back and forth more and more each time until free. Always buy new screws too. If it doesn't come free, you need to be at church more often cause you ain't living right. I guess this won't work for all you atheists and pagans.

Hey Naughty, I would go for 8 of those too - I have looked off and on for something this fits with no luck.

Mike

I bought some at Home Depot in their hardware section. They are in the sliding drawers, usually the first area on the left in the hardware aisle.

I guess I'll have to give Sean a shout when I get time to TRY and take off the carbs, like I said I'm new to bikes and still unsure of myself when working on them. I have some general mechanical abilities on cars but bikes are a whole new world to me and I'm a little intimidated by the carbs.

There's a sticky in the carbs section on how to remove the carbs. It's called main jet or something like that.

I guess I'll have to give Sean a shout when I get time to TRY and take off the carbs, like I said I'm new to bikes and still unsure of myself when working on them. I have some general mechanical abilities on cars but bikes are a whole new world to me and I'm a little intimidated by the carbs.

We all were when we first tore into our bikes. If you have mechanical abilites on a car than you should have mechanical abilites on a bike. Mechanics is something you have or you dont.
Basically pay attention, look at things, figure out what needs taken off, and take your time and dont force nothing. If you have a memory just reverse the process..

Plenty of guys here to help you out. If you screw something up I am sure one of us here have screwed it up also!
Just remember if you screw something up, it can be unscrewed, and ya learned something... Grab your tool box and get busy!

OK everyone I've ordered a pack of 100 caps for the A/F screw holes. Anybody wants a set - shoot me a PM with your full address.

OK everyone I've ordered a pack of 100 caps for the A/F screw holes. Anybody wants a set - shoot me a PM with your full address.

NaughtyG, do you still have these? If so, I'd like to buy 4 off of ya.

Thanks.

NaughtyG, do you still have these? If so, I'd like to buy 4 off of ya.

Thanks.

Ya same here, I'll take 4 if ya got them.

If Naughty is out of these you can get them at ACE Hdwr. and probly several other hdwr. stores like Aubuchon, etc. If I remember correctly they are 1/4" and cost around $.36 each.

If Naughty is out of these you can get them at ACE Hdwr. and probly several other hdwr. stores like Aubuchon, etc. If I remember correctly they are 1/4" and cost around $.36 each.

Thanks Dan-o. I found some at Home Depot but they were chrome and almost a buck a piece. I'll drive down to Ace!

Back