Stripped clutch cover bolt hole.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
A while back ,I had my son remove the clutch cover. Now going back and trying to reinstall it. I see I have a stripped screw hole..:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

the stripped hole is the one with locater collar, left side.

Now before I continue.. Is the other collared hole on the right require the same length screw? If so, Im really fucked.. If not, has anyone helicoiled a clutch cover screw? No biggie cept for the time and new lock washer?:confused2:

Yes the other one is just as long...the good news is it probably won't leak at all even if you left the bolt out completly, I know this because of the 5 million times I took mine off and put it back on during my clear clutch cover building quest.

Yes, they can be heli-coiled. The two with the dowel pins are longer then the rest normally. You might even be able to get one a little longer then the original and have it work fine.

Sean

Yes the other one is just as long.

Christ all mighty! The bolts busted off inside..:tantrum::hammer bash::th_drink:

The bolt from the right dowel pin wont tighten down far enough to tighten in the left dowel pin hole.

i had a couple random holes strip during this winter, getting longer bolts helped. i would otherwise helicoil. shouldn't be an issue. just take your time and use lots of lubrication.

Same thing happened with me and the water pump. I thought the pump was cracked because there would be a pool of antifreeze on top of the pump. Anyways it turned out the previous owner stripped two holes so that's why it was leaking. Installed two helicoils and all is well. Only problem is i bought a new water pump and now it's just collecting dust in my garage.

i had a couple random holes strip during this winter, shouldn't be an issue.

except mines broke off inside I fear. I measured the long bolt from the right dowel hole and compared how far it threaded in to the left doweled hole.:damn angry: The right side went in over 1/4" more.:bang head:

Now Im wondering if I can salvage whats left, because removing the broken stud isnt a option in aluminum. :damn angry: A really short helicoil?:biglaugh: I just need a few turns for 5 foot pounds.

Same thing happened with me and the water pump. I thought the pump was cracked because there would be a pool of antifreeze on top of the pump. Anyways it turned out the previous owner stripped two holes so that's why it was leaking. Installed two helicoils and all is well. Only problem is i bought a new water pump and now it's just collecting dust in my garage.

Check out the Buy / Sell section for solution to new / dusty Vmax parts. :punk::clapping::eusa_dance:

except mines broke off inside I fear. I measured the long bolt from the right dowel hole and compared how far it threaded in to the left doweled hole.:damn angry: The right side went in over 1/4" more.:bang head:

Now Im wondering if I can salvage whats left, because removing the broken stud isnt a option in aluminum. :damn angry: A really short helicoil?:biglaugh: I just need a few turns for 5 foot pounds.

if it broke its probably in there good. i'd probably at least try a small drill bit and an extractor. slowly. if it doesn't come out get a shorter bolt and helicoil it. i'd make sure you have room for the entire length of the helicoil though, if i didn't i' be worried.

i actually just ended up using the new water pump when i did the fix (actually it was a used one out of an 06) guaranteed right after i sell the original one the new one will give out. not sure how much i would get for a used 85 water pump, probably not even worth the effort.

i'd make sure you have room for the entire length of the helicoil though, if i didn't i' be worried.

I havent measured, but my eye says not.

Why.. cant grind the coil a bit shorter? maybe? bottoming tap. yup Im screwed

They sell helicoils in varying lengths. I repaired my sissybar with some that were about 3/8" long. Got them from napa.

I've had good luck removing broken screws with the square type extractors. Hardest part is drilling in the center of a bolt in a situation like this. I like to find little bushings to use as a guide or sometimes if you just wrap your drill bit with electrical tape that will work but the tape can get hot and start to melt. Works in a pinch though.

Hardest part is drilling in the center of a bolt in a situation like this. I like to find little bushings to use as a guide .

Thats a great suggestion.

Two questions.
whats the original bolt size and pitch. BOLT (4MY)

And whats the best way to remove the dowel without
&%$!ng it up? Iv only got one btw.

Mike, I think I can help... get a 12 pack of beer (and maybe something for yourself) we'll get a few reverse-spinn drill bits and we'll work our way up until we either get out the broken bolt, or we will re-tap.

Mike, I think I can help... get a 12 pack of beer (and maybe something for yourself) .

:rofl_200: Thats good Jeff. :rofl_200: Let me know when, because beer and booze never seem to last around here. Im riding friday btw.:punk:

I may have lucked out. I measured how deep the screw went in. Not the depth of the hole.:biglaugh: Some of the hole is stripped but that broken bolt isnt in there I think.

Tap size anyone? My head herts

rebar:

if you goto a site like ron ayers which lasts the actual OEM part numbers you can tell the size from there:

91317-06025-00

that means its a 06mm thread with 25mm length. for the smaller size bolts yamaha sticks to the normal thread sizes:

3 x (i forget this one, maybe .6 or .5)
4 x .75
5 x .8
6 x 1
8 x 1.25

(above 8mm they seem to not stick to the standard 'coarse' sizes and goto fine (10 x is 1.25 again, 12 and 14 mm is 1.5 i believe))

I wouldn't want to grind a helicoil down because i imagine someone already did the work to make sure that would hold the torque for that typical type of bolt. plus the helicoils i usually get from autozone are pretty small to begin with, i woulda said 3/8" or less.

Thanks Garrett. I found the info here.
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/bolt_size_determination.htm

But the pitch info wasnt there.

4 x .75
5 x .8
6 x 1
8 x 1.25
10x1.25
12x1.5
14x1.5

I need to keep that info handy with my luck.:biglaugh:

Im not sure what's happening with this left doweled hole..:damn angry: I can run a 6mm tap equaly as far into both doweled holes. Yet the same 6mm x 35mm bolt wont thread into the left hole but 2 turns and stops hard like somethings behind it.:ummm::bang head:

Thanks Garrett. I found the info here.
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/bolt_size_determination.htm

But the pitch info wasnt there.

4 x .75
5 x .8
6 x 1
8 x 1.25
10x1.25
12x1.5
14x1.5

I need to keep that info handy with my luck.:biglaugh:

Im not sure what's happening with this left doweled hole..:damn angry: I can run a 6mm tap equaly as far into both doweled holes. Yet the same 6mm x 25mm bolt wont thread into the left hole but 2 turns and stops hard like somethings behind it.:ummm::bang head:

different bolts do the same thing? maybe clean out their threads with a die, i do on any bolts that had loc tite on them

you using a wrench or just by hand. sometimes theres a little bit of junk in there which requires the less torqued side of an L allen wrench (the long side in the bolt itself).

also don't quote me on the 10-14. i've found that most of the 10 are 1.25 but i could be wrong some might be 1.5. and i'm guessing from memory on the 12/14's.

different bolts do the same thing? sometimes theres a little bit of junk in there which requires the less torqued side of an L allen wrench (the long side in the bolt itself).

No.. same 6 x 35mm bolt not threading in equally on the doweled holes, even after chasing them out.

The previous owner used a 25mm bolt for the left doweled since there was a obstruction keeping the 35mm from tightening. What ever it was,, is out now after 3 hrs of farting around..:punk::clapping::eusa_dance: Now up to the stealer for the correct bolt.

Thanks!

Jeff that beer still available.

No.. same 6 x 35mm bolt not threading in equally on the doweled holes, even after chasing them out.

The previous owner used a 25mm bolt for the left doweled since there was a obstruction keeping the 35mm from tightening. What ever it was,, is out now after 3 hrs of farting around..:punk::clapping::eusa_dance: Now up to the stealer for the correct bolt.

Thanks!

Jeff that beer still available.

ur gonna pay 3x mroe at a dealer for a bolt u could get stainless at ace or similar.

Latest posts

Back