stripping paint off parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to strip the paint off all the small cast parts one might want to re-powdercoat? I'm planning on doing the pieces above the headlight, the brace that says yamaha where the front brakes connect, grab rail, side pannels and faux intakes.. Gotta have it done for the powdercoater by monday.. found a another rider that does powdercoating and he is taking pitty on me being poor at the moment and will do all of them if I clean em up for a clean crisp twenty dollar bill...

Aircraft stripper and then media blasting them.

The anodized clear coat on the parts will come off in seconds with good stripper and the media blasting will prep the surface for power coating.

I powder coated a shit ton on my bike.

This is just a TINY bit of parts I coated on the bike.
296128_590025654364477_669151279_n.jpg

Glass bead blasted will give a perfectly prepped part that will not do a thing to the metal but remove every speck of clear coat and oxidation. If you were close by, I'd do your parts free.
It's 83 degrees Fahrenheit here today.

The most non green paint remover you can find at any hardware or auto part should make quick work of it.

Something that contains

Methyl ethyl ketone is what your looking for.

The aircraft remover shown in garrett's post works really well. If you can find air craft remover in a jug its even more potent. It is strong enough to eat powder coat and will take that clear coat right off aluminum parts.

My factory pieces were polished aluminum with a clear coat over it. It won't matter what is on there once the A/C remover hits it you can basically wipe it off after a couple minutes.

Can anyone tell me what the fenders are made of? I had bought a set of tins off ebay and had them shipped to directly to be powder coated but the PC guy the fenders were too thin and might melt in the oven. The fake tank he could do. I thought they were stamped steel. My bike is in the shop and never really looked at what the fenders are made of. Whats the best way to strip the paint off the fenders?

One of my friends just offered to bead blast my parts for free this week. Just have to let the guy know that is powdercoating them that it won't be monday and hopefully he can put em in, in another batch he is doing.. It'll be a few months before I can ride with the weather regardless. Guess it's time to work on the fenders and faux tank this weekend.

If the paint is in good shape and not flaking you can use a wet scotch bright pad scuff it really good, wash, dry and put your base/clear coat right over it. If you are doing a serious color change you can even put down a primer first over your old paint. SEM primers work nicely...

http://www.semproducts.com/product-catalog/specialty-products/primers/flexible-primer-surfacer/

The front and rear fenders are plastic and will melt before the powder coat cures. You could also PC your lid and find a matching paint for the plastics.

Fenders just plastic and yes they will melt in the oven. Ask me how I know.
On second thought, don't ask.

I ve powder coated some plastic parts, you have to use a metal conductive coating first so you can get the powder to stay and then a low temp curing powder. In other words, no you really can't powder coat plastic unless you want to spend extra money on it.

Todd

Wow I started sanding the faux tank yesterday (before I gave up and got some spray stripper), under the topcoat it looked like that "crackle" effect paint my kids have for crafts.. No sign of primer or anything under the paint the PO put on.. Just auto touch up spray bomb right over the bare metal... wth don't people understand simple paint principals... I'm not an expert and I know the proper steps..

Latest posts

Back