Supply Shopping frustrations!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
Took the morning tog o shopping for some supplies to start work on the Vmax. Shopping is a bit of a chore here but started out with positve thoughts since there is a Yamaha dealership just 10 mins from my house.....:eusa_dance:

My list:

4 litres of 5w40 syn oil
oil filter gasket
front fork seals
seafoam
set of wrenches (spanners)
torque wrench
rivet gun/rivets

Was going to change the oil, tackle the front fork leak, clean up the carbs a bit before I get around to the shotgun, fix the back plate on my exhaust (coupe of rivets are loose) that would keep me busy till my new brakes arrive.

Thats where it goes pear shaped:

Yamaha stopped stocking parts and all Yamaha parts would have to be couriered from another city:bang head:. Didnt have any oil filters in stock there so that would have to wait for the "next boat":bang head:
No seafoam......bought some GUNK and hope it helps some:confused2:
From there had to head to the automtive souq (market) this is where it gets fun!

Found some Stanley tools and haggled the guy don to $75 for 8 wrenches:clapping: but no metric:bang head:
Torque wrench by "King Tony"looked ok so bought it 3/8 drive.:clapping:
Socket set ..found metric:clapping: but only 1/2 in drive:bang head:
After buying the Torque wrench and getting it home noticed the scale is in in-lb not ft-lb so the very first nut I have to tighten is 31 ft-lb (oil drain) which is off the scale for the wrench 20-200 in-lb:ummm:

NOW HERE COMES THE KICKER....after all this...the most difficult thing to find was OIL...this is the g#$ da&% middle east!!!!!!! Ended up buying regular 20w40:smileystooges:

Oil filter...could only get a K&N for $18 and dont even know if it will fit. It is a different part number than the match for the vmax on the website.
Here is a pic....please someone let me know if you think it will fit before I pull the other one out.

Moral of the story......rivet gun works!!!!!!:thumbs up:

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
The filter looks huge but it's hard to tell in a picture.:confused2:

20W40 will work. I mean it's probably really hot there anyway right?:ummm:

Sounds like you had a pretty frustrating shopping day! :biglaugh:

Gotta love the U.S.!:thumbs up: All kinds of stuff.:eusa_dance:

I live in a very rural area and I miss the bigger cities (sometimes) and the "Alice's Resturant" selections that are there. I feel for you Gally, it is frustrtating having to wait or not be able get something you want/need.

**I bet none of you had thought of ol' Arlo Guthrie today now have you? My work here is done! :eek:h yeah:**

Back