Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion please!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion plea

Thanks for the comments all!

Rusty McNeil, nice looking DIY brace & posts. MidnightMax, thanks for sending me the pics of yours... Awesome bracing work! I like the "X" brace towards the pivot area. I'll post it below, plus an interesting one I came across in another enthusiast's site... very slick "stock" approach which would retain the OEM exhaust and center stand.

Also, what's the verdict on inserting and welding in a ~3.5"in OD pipe section in the driveshaft entry point? Midnight Max did so, and it's been mentioned in the old tech-mailing list archives. Does it help?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• Swinging-Arm_3.jpg
    Swinging-Arm_3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Swing-arm-pics.jpg
    Swing-arm-pics.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 71
Re: Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion plea

how about a single sided swingarm with bracing done? lol :punk:

Attachments

• P1000696.jpg
    P1000696.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1000699.jpg
    P1000699.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000697.jpg
    P1000697.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 37

Lugan - my pleasure and next time I'll try harder to get the focus correct!

For inf, the centre stand still fits with the arrangement I have.
I can't comment on the OE system as I've never had one fitted but it does work OK with Holeshot headers.

double post

how about a single sided swingarm with bracing done? lol :punk:

That would be great. You ever gonna finish it? :biglaugh: Haven't seen you around for quite some time. Welcom back

Thanks for all the good posts and info gents. Any more images, please post them up!

FWIW, I got started on cutting and shaping some 1inch OD 16ga mild steel tubing for my swingarm. I also cut and bent a piece of 16ga plate steel to reinforce the 'box' area of the swingarm, but still allow clearance to the gas tank drain bolt etc.

I have to cut some more tubing pieces to tie it all in together, but so far my design approach is to reinforce the arms to the pivot/bearing areas, and add in a brace between the sides to reinforce it. I also opted for thinner tubing to keep weight down. Availability and ease of bending with a conduit bender factored in as well!

Attachments

• IMG_20120414_151041.jpg
    IMG_20120414_151041.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20120414_150928.jpg
    IMG_20120414_150928.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20120414_151053.jpg
    IMG_20120414_151053.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 48

Here is what we did. I like the old ladder bar setup

Attachments

• max-2.jpg
    max-2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 50
Back