Thermostat price WTF?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Any one ever bought a new one?

I noticed a slight leak at the water neck/t-stat housing and dove in to correct it while trying to get my bike "perfect" while waiting on my skins to come back from the paint shop. Since I had to go to the pain in the dick of removing the radiator and exhaust system just to get at the water neck I was going to go ahead and do the "pop stopper" and also replace all the o-rings, t-stat, and water neck/t-stat housing while I had it apart. Also ordered all new coolant hoses but not from the dealer, Samco sells hoses for the Vmax....

I ordered all the parts no problem except the thermostat, the stealer wants $71 bucks for a new t-stat...I'll re-use the old one at that price.

What a fucking rip-off.........

I wanted a starter BUTTON for an XJ-1100 years ago, the dealer wanted $12.00 for the plastic part that probably cost them 10 cents. So, I went home and made the button from a hardwood dowel. Cost me about 10 cents.. You may be able to find a cross reference thermostat or as you said, use the old one...

Good Luck,

My mind is not the same as it was yesterday but I do remember someone posting your situation and what and where they found the replacement. I think it was posted by one of the well respected brother that is never around anymore. I'll try a few searches here and see what I find.
PATMAX

Any one ever bought a new one?

I noticed a slight leak at the water neck/t-stat housing and dove in to correct it while trying to get my bike "perfect" while waiting on my skins to come back from the paint shop. Since I had to go to the pain in the dick of removing the radiator and exhaust system just to get at the water neck I was going to go ahead and do the "pop stopper" and also replace all the o-rings, t-stat, and water neck/t-stat housing while I had it apart. Also ordered all new coolant hoses but not from the dealer, Samco sells hoses for the Vmax....

I ordered all the parts no problem except the thermostat, the stealer wants $71 bucks for a new t-stat...I'll re-use the old one at that price.

What a fucking rip-off.........

KJ posted a replacement stat I believe it was a Stant....I had the number but can't locate it right now.

Did you test your thermostat? If it tests fine, no reason to replace.

You guys are awesome coming up with that old post. Thanks!

No I didn't test it, I figured after going to all that trouble to dig it out I would just replace it "just in case" figuring it would only be a few dollars.
It's been working fine tho' never had any cooling issues ever....I won't lose any sleep over re-installing the old one...

Thanks guys

I may be missing something, but that Stant # comes back as a cap. Looks to be the right cap, but aren't we looking for a thermostat?

wtf-monkey.jpg

That's f---in insane!

Rusty, I have a stock thermostat if you need it.
I can send it to you just se d me a p.m. Android your address, Android I'll get it off to you.
Dave.:punk:

If a13758 Stant will work the the Napa 156 should also work.

Below is a cut from a thread on Venture site.

If you need a new thermostat, there is a Napa #156 and on the Napa box was a #33708 that I was able to cross reference to a Stant #13758 at my local auto parts dealer.

Gary

Back