Tire Blow-out at 60mph!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting now...but maybe I should go back to where this story started.
Last Thursday I flew from Michigan to Colorado Springs to help my sister move her belongings back to Michigan. We picked up a 26' U-Haul then went to her storage unit and proceeded to load it three quarters full. It was worrying that we had two more locations to go to to get stuff! Although we were able to get the next units inventory in(just barely closing the door) we moved onto the last location. By now I knew we were going to have to repack the last half of the trick since we were headed to a airport hanger storage unit!
Just as I had feared the hanger was full of precious stuff that could not be left behind. We unloaded and using our wits to pack as much stuff as possible, which proved to be far more successful than I could have imagined! But there was what turned out to be, enough stuff to almost fill a 8x10 storage unit. The decision was made to get another smaller U-Haul to move the remaining stuff to my sister previously emptied storage unit. That went well and we called a day.
The following day we went to the U-haul store to pickup a car trailer to load my sisters BMW Z3, which went off without a hitch.
I headed out on a typical Colorado day, winds 30-40 mph fortunately it wasn't a headwind. The trip has gone along swimmingly for 2.5 days. Sure, I saw snow, there was wind and of course rain while I was trying to dodge traffic in Chicago but all on all not too bad.
This all leads me to now, sitting on the side of US127 listening to the flashers metronome like beat waiting to get the U-Hauls tire changed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

The young man from the tire service has the truck jacked up both tires off and has the tire iron working to spoon off the shredded tire!

So....is everyone ok?

LOL...even on the side of the road....STILL thinking about the Vmax forum....

The bright side is the repair guy is there. Good luck on the rest of the ride. How much further?

Tire is on the rim!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142018.438661.jpg
12 min flat!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142173.183530.jpg
Good to go!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142321.916880.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142321.916880.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142571.632717.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366142571.632717.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 83
That service tech knows his buisiness!!...........Safe travels for the remainder of your trip!............Tom.

Tire is on the rim!! 12 min flat! Good to go!

good thing the service company didn't send me out there. you'd still be waiting for me to break the bead. :rofl_200: LOL; dang 12 minutes WOW :clapping:

good thing the service company didn't send me out there. you'd still be waiting for me to break the bead. :rofl_200: LOL; dang 12 minutes WOW :clapping:

A great time for a truck wheel.

The ISDT guys change a tube in 4 minutes & change, using tire irons not-as-long as your skull.

Are you someplace south of Lansing, headed to by Petoskey?

US 27 begins a few miles from my father-in-law's home, it's origin is in downtown Miami FL. One day, I am going to ride it to MI from its start.

Think the trailer was overloaded, or did you find a Sears screwdriver inside the tire? I have a story like that.

I tell you what FM.........When you decide to make that trip and head north, I will head south and meet you in the middle, then we can ride the rest of the way back to Mi together!.........:punk:..........Tom.

A great time for a truck wheel.

The ISDT guys change a tube in 4 minutes & change, using tire irons not-as-long as your skull.

Are you someplace south of Lansing, headed to by Petoskey?

US 27 begins a few miles from my father-in-law's home, it's origin is in downtown Miami FL. One day, I am going to ride it to MI from its start.

Think the trailer was overloaded, or did you find a Sears screwdriver inside the tire? I have a story like that.

I misspoke(mistyped?) that it was US27, it was on 127, about a mile south from the N Clare, MI exit. The U-Haul drivers side inside rear is the one that blew, spreading the tread out the back, but left both side walls somewhat intact.
Probably loaded to near the limit but not over, I asked the U-Haul service person if it was and he said no after checking it out. More than likely the shitty roads on I-80 near Chicago is what did it in, man those roads suck!

2e2ypuja.jpg

Last edited:
That service tech knows his buisiness!!...........Safe travels for the remainder of your trip!............Tom.

Yes he did! Although he didn't balance it it rode like new still. I gave him a $20 just for being fast, courteous and working the traffic side of the road. The traffic was light but I still had to wave a half dozen or so drivers to the center lane away from him. He earned every penny of that twenty spot!!

Brian, it's that extra 5 mph that did it ... you know the speed limit for those U-hauls trailers is 55 mph !! You get reminded of that every time you look in the side rear mirrors and see those big decals on the trailer fenders reminding you !! :rofl_200: Smooth travels for the rest of the way for you !

I just filled up for the final time, thought I'd take a pic of the rig:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366148450.272567.jpg
I just hit I-75 and other than a probable windy crossing of the Mackinaw bridge there's nothing to stop this yooper from making it home!

Brian, it's that extra 5 mph that did it ... you know the speed limit for those U-hauls trailers is 55 mph !! You get reminded of that every time you look in the side rear mirrors and see those big decals on the trailer fenders reminding you !! :rofl_200: Smooth travels for the rest of the way for you !

Ha ha, could have been it! On a side note, did you know these trucks are governed to 75mph?
I ride a Vmax that little wobble didn't even make me flinch!

I tell you what FM.........When you decide to make that trip and head north, I will head south and meet you in the middle, then we can ride the rest of the way back to Mi together!.........:punk:..........Tom.

Tom, it will be awhile before I do that but I will remember Beekeeper's offer!
-"Fire-medic"

Latest posts

Back