To upgrade or not to upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hello all...

Thought i'd get your opinions on this one.:ummm:

So I have a '94 with almost 14k miles on it. Bought it about a year ago for ~$4k with 8k miles on it. Have put about $500 into it between a brand new tire, rotor, pads, etc etc.

I have an option perhaps, coming up, to buy a 2003 with 2k miles on it. This one is listed a little over $4k (way below book i know).

Both look to have similar aftermarket stuff done, the simple stuff, exhaust, K&N, etc. Mine however has a corbin seat and thats all that really seems to differentiate. I just did tires and rotors on mine but a bike with 2k miles on it would have those parts be pretty new anyways.

Since i'm not necessarily rolling in the dough over here, I wanted your guys opinions if its worth it to try to sell mine (think i can get whats its worth to me? (~$4k-4500)) and then pick up the newer one?

Is there any huge advantages aside from the OEM parts being 10 years newer? Any big engineering gaps I should know about? I know i have to do a couple gaskets on my crankcase very soon, so i'm just wondering if that is a hint at more problems to come on mine. Or are these things are pretty sturdy and the money i'll waste re-registering/titling, paying tax, insurance, etc along with the headache of trying to sell a 94 bike in todays market:bang head: might indicate its a good idea to keep with the 94 and save for an 09:clapping: or newer.

Any thoughts would be great! Also I live outside of boston if that matters, if anyone knows about the ability to sell them up here.

thanks!

-garrett

Naturally the decision will be yours, but if the bikes are similarly equipped and you can swing it buying the 03 wouldn't be a bad thing. You are talking about a bike that is 10 years newer so the rubber parts won't be an issue yet, etc..... Once you start modifying then it becomes a whole new ballgame.

Here's another option, if your happy with your bike, than take the $1500-$2000 that you would have spent on the purchase and buy some mods for your bike - just a thought.

Mike

I see both your points. I think the only plusses are the mileage and the age. Altho 13/14k miles is still pretty young (on mine) it would be nice to have the reliability of a 2003 model. Plus there would be a huge resale value in the 2003 since its such under book.

I also was considering the mods. I'd love to do some stuff with my bike (i'll admit i'm a novice but learning and teaching myself as quick as i can), and this forum seems like a good place to start with ideas and look at what others have done. Everyone seems like they're ready to help out and give me tips so that is definitely something that excites me!

At the end of the day i'm still trying to figure it out and make sure the $$ works out... also selling mine would be key in the spring and i'm not sure if i'd get what its worth or at least worth to me out of it.

Thanks again guys.. keep the thoughts coming!

I'd buy the newer bike if it came my way. That's a heck of a good price. Risky if you don't know absolutely for sure that there is nothing wrong with it.

yea, the new one would def be better. I put mine up on craigslist to see if i can get any bites in the next week, but thats probably one of the biggest factors if i'd be able to sell.

Thanks for everyone's input so far...

Well i may be able to sell mine for $4k, if thats the case the option looks pretty clear to me! If not, i'll probably just stick with mine.

Thanks for all the help.

SO I DID IT!!

sold my yellow '94 with 14k miles for $4k

bought the 03 black under 2k miles for $4200

pics attached of old and new.

The new one needs a bit of aesthetic work (such as side panels), new tires a few things overall, but man i def feel a difference in power!

Attachments

• IMGP0945.jpg
    IMGP0945.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP0949.jpg
    IMGP0949.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP1078.jpg
    IMGP1078.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP1079.jpg
    IMGP1079.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGP1080.jpg
    IMGP1080.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 33
That difference in power can probably be traced to SuperTrapp slip-ons instead of Cobra.....:rofl_200:

Supertrapps are pretty good performers and can be restricted or de-restricted just by removing or adding baffle plates.

10yrs = $200! - You bought a bargain.

ah cool thanks for the info gleno!

I don't think I have any baffles on it right now, and i don't mind the noise but i think my neighbors may when i commute @ 7:30 am. There's only a few more days left of that this year, so thats a winter thing i'll do...

I can probably just order some from supertrapp eh?

and yes, i'm happy with my trade up! This bike needs a few things, as i said, but i'm looking forward to doing them over the winter!

Ah ok i did some research. Right now I don't believe I have a cover on them at all nor any disks. It says to remove disks to make quieter, so I assume if i get around 18 disks and 2 covers that should give me a start to see where I want the sound... i'm going to post to the exhaust to ask more questions on that

Latest posts

Back