Too much torque, clutch keeps slipping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax1700@

Reaction score
Seems it ain’t possible to fix the slipping clutch of my slightly modified Vmax Gen2. 200hp version (even “a bit” more thanks to some modifs ;)

Installed new original clutch (9 friction plates, 9 clutch plates). Installed EBC Diaphragm. Semi-synthetic oil.
Clutch keeps slipping when accelerating in 3rd, 4rd and 5th.

All advice welcome! Thanks!🙏

Have you tried the 'DD' clutch mod?

Clutch Mod
Hi,
Your link leads to 1200cc. Mine is Gen2 1700.
I did a diaphragm mod. Manufacturer: EBC. See picture. Not sure if that is what you refer to?

Attachments

• 960954f7-ecbc-4ecc-9ef4-7e1482dac330.jpeg
    960954f7-ecbc-4ecc-9ef4-7e1482dac330.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
Have you measured that new clutch is in spec? If it is, buy original Yamaha spring and ditch that EBC one. I did dd-mod with old original and new original springs, and it slips only from rear tyre now.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 0
Have you measured that new clutch is in spec? If it is, buy original Yamaha spring and ditch that EBC one. I did dd-mod with old original and new original springs, and it slips only from rear tyre now.
New clutch is original Yamaha and in spec. Can you pls elaborate what you mean with old and new “springs”? Not clear to me 🤔

Seems it ain’t possible to fix the slipping clutch of my slightly modified Vmax Gen2. 200hp version (even “a bit” more thanks to some modifs ;)

Installed new original clutch (9 friction plates, 9 clutch plates). Installed EBC Diaphragm. Semi-synthetic oil.
Clutch keeps slipping when accelerating in 3rd, 4rd and 5th.

All advice welcome! Thanks!🙏
I would take the semi syn out and replace with yamalube. I would install the DD (2 stock springs) with the deeper retsiner ring. Maybe consider cleaning the semi syn off the new plates. I have ran yamalube with DD for 50K miles using orm plates and no slip anytime. Course I ride like a grandma 👵

New clutch is original Yamaha and in spec. Can you pls elaborate what you mean with old and new “springs”? Not clear to me 🤔
Your old, used diaphragm spring and new Yamaha diaphragm spring. DD-mod. Ditch the EBC crap.
I had brand new clutch and it slipped, did the DD-mod and no more slipping clutch.

Last edited:
If a new clutch and it's still slipping it is highly likely you have loose rivets holding the inner basket together. Very common issue on the gen 2 engines. No amount of other clutch parts will fix that.

Back