transmission problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

81LS1Camaro

Reaction score
Bike is some times hard to downshift and takes alot of lever effort to get it upshifted. It is a 2005 so I didnt know if I should check the assembly with the pins. My dad did lay it down going into a driveway that twisted my shift lever all up. I just dont know where to start. I went through all the hydraulics and bled the system multiple times. :bang head:

I would start with the shift lever and linkage. Maybe check the shift shaft for straightness too.

Did you line the mark on the linkage with the dot on the shift shaft?

How does clutch operation feel? Any difference since the tipover? At a stop does it creep or jump forward when going into 1st from neutral? If you blip the throttle does it help any?

How does clutch operation feel? Any difference since the tipover? At a stop does it creep or jump forward when going into 1st from neutral? If you blip the throttle does it help any?

I dont know what it was like before he layed it down. I got the bike from him the spring after he droped it (Starting to wish that I would of kept my R6). I too thought that maybe it was the master or slave cylinder that were not operating properly, I just rebuilt both of those a couple weeks ago.
It has a good jump from neutral to first but as far as I can tell that seems to be normal for these bikes. I have posted on this in other threads but never got a response. Thanks for your help, I am running out of things to check before I have to tear the stupid thing apart. This sucks for a bike that doesnt even have 6000 miles on it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you get on the ground does the shift shaft look straight where it enters the engine seal? Any leaks around there?

May need to break open the clutch and see how that looks. Then check the shift segment on the drum. If that looks okay pull and check the shift shaft and shifter mechanism.

Let me know if (or when) you tear into it... I wouldn't mind being there to help/watch.... or I could just sit in the corner and supply beers as needed. I'm going to be tearing into a few engines fairly soon myself.... just don't let me work on your wheels/axles.
Where in Iowa do you live?

Jeff

No oil leaks and shaft looks ok. Oil was changed about 2k miles ago, its about time to change but not real bad.
I live in waterloo. I think I am going to go out right now and tear it open before I go to work. This is really driving me nuts, summers gonna be over soon. I will keep you all posted on what I find.

Just thought I would let you all know that I have been sidetracked with trying to get my brother moved and I have had to work on the girlfriends car. My brothers Chevelle wagon is going to be in the garage now so who know how long it will be now.

We were wondering where you were hiding. Hopefully you'll get the Max back on the road before the end of the summer.

Bike is some times hard to downshift and takes alot of lever effort to get it upshifted. It is a 2005 so I didnt know if I should check the assembly with the pins. My dad did lay it down going into a driveway that twisted my shift lever all up. I just dont know where to start. I went through all the hydraulics and bled the system multiple times. :bang head:

Maybe he bent your shift shaft.I seriously doubt that anything is wrong in the tranny itself.Possibly messed up the shift segment?I would pull the clutch basket and look real good at the shaft and segment.

Back