Unusual Clutch Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neashfella

Reaction score
Bit desperate here, need to sell my Vmax, just prepping for the MOT

I have just bled the clutch because it was a bit spongy after the bike sitting for a while.

The clutch has pressure but feels like a front brake, with huge pressure but obviously not moving the pushrod and clutch plates, has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix please ???

Sounds like you need to flush the system w/fresh fluid. Evacuate the master cyl, use a pin or needle to make sure the two holes in the floor of the master cyl are totally-clear of any residue/material, and reverse-flush the slave cylinder using the bleeder nipple there & a 60 cc syringe & a short length of clear plastic tubing hose-clamped to the bleeder nipple to flush fluid upwards into the master cyl reservoir until it's filled. Close the slave cyl bleeder nipple, slowly and gently squeeze the clutch lever, and you should witness a small 'geyser' of fluid spray-upwards from the small, forward master cyl hole closest to the clutch hose. if if does, then replace the master cyl cap & you should be good to go.

Your front master cyl hole, the smaller-diameter one, is plugged, and there is probably a lot of sludge in your fluid, which is thick-enough to block that tiny hole. Your clutch and brake fluids should be transparent, not opaque. Flush according to this and your troubles should be gone, assuming you don't have an internally-collapsed hose, which could also produce your symptoms. The only way you're going to know that if the reverse-flush doesn't fix your problem is to remove the hose and to try blowing through it, I usually use compressed air, but lung power will work in a pinch. There should be NO blockage to the airflow, if there is, replace the hose. Don't forget to check the rigid hose too, there may be an accumulation of sludge in it as-well. Blow it clean, after detaching it from the slave cylinder.

What Fire-Medic said. And remember, those little clutch and brake master cylinders seem to take a very long time to bleed...by hand. Good luck!

Hi

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried to syringe fluid from the bleed nipple but it just will not force through.

I have tried bleeding the clutch as normal and when the pressure builds up, instead of a clutch it just feels like a front brake. The slave cylinder and pushrod are both free and clean.

Any suggestions please ??

Has anyone had the clutch apart? Sounds like it's missing the ball bearing between the main pushrod and secondary push rod behind the pressure plate.

Sean

Yes I have stripped the clutch to clean the plates because I thought it may be this that was sticking due to the bike being stood, so it does sound like the bearing has gone missing, any idea where I can get one from ???

Collapsed/obstructed hoses? I've had brake hoses on a car or two in the past whereby the inside of the hose itself deteriorated enough so that the brake fluid could be pushed through with the pedal pressure, but would never let off afterward. I've not experienced any hose failures on any of my motorcycles though.

You're looking for a ball bearing (single ball). It fits in between those two rods. Double check and see if you don't have it and email me if not. I have some spares here I keep.

Sean

Latest posts

Back