using oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.T.Stone

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just wondering what would cause my bike to use oil. The Bike runs great, lots of power ,58 000 km. Except for a maybe a VERY slight blue smoke on startup the bike doesn't look like its burning oil, I have had my wife follow me while I gun the bike and she says she see's no smoke. There are no leaks. If the oil window is full it might take about 3000km before the oil hits the bottom line and the oil light comes on with slight acceleration. I use Motul full synthetic.

My advice is don't look for trouble...keep it changed and topped off and wait for it to tell you something is wrong... Other more knowledgeable folks will chime in I'm sure.

$0.02 deposited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, yeah thats funny, I just love my vmax and I get paranoid about EVERYTHING. In all reality it does run good and has never really given me any trouble except for the usual stuff common to most maxxers.

Ha, yeah thats funny, I just love my vmax and I get paranoid about EVERYTHING. In all reality it does run good and has never really given me any trouble except for the usual stuff common to most maxxers.

Got the same issue with my 2000. Pretty sure it's do to needing a valve adjustment. Usually due around 20,000/25,000 miles. There are some much more mech inclined guys on here that will chime in with lots of hints/fixes. Until then check it often and keep it full.:punk:

mine did the same thing., i was weaping out of my valve covers. i still burn a little bit of oil i think but i don't worry about it.

I had an old quad that would do that....would smoke when cold or under a lot of load, needed a few oz of oil after every ride to keep topped up. I started adding that "motor honey" stuff and the problem all but vanished....no more smoke and oil consumption slowed to the point of not really being noticeable. Not sure if that stuff is OK for wet clutches, though it didn't have any ill effects on the centrifugal auto-clutch.

Honestly though I've found my Vmax to use virtually no oil at all....last oil change with around 5k miles it was maybe a teensy bit below the full tick on the sight glass. My Yamaha snowmobile blasts through oil though....needs a quart top-off every thousand miles or so. Never any noticeable smoke/smell, but apparently that's pretty common on the first generation 4-strokes.

My first piece of advice is to stop running the synthetic oil. Toxic, with a fresh rebuilt motor, would still burn a bit of oil when I run synthetic. Not too sure why. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. Add oil when it gets a bit low and do not worry about the oil light under acceleration.

On another note, you should come to our Niagara Falls ride in a couple of weeks!! Get in touch with me or Veebooster here for details.

On another note, you should come to our Niagara Falls ride in a couple of weeks!! Get in touch with me or Veebooster here for details.[/QUOTE]

I just might have to do that..

Okie Dokie then , I'll leave it at that and maybe in the next year or two I'll get the Valves checked/adjusted and see what happens.

Your valves being out of adjustment will not cause it to burn oil. I would start with the easiest thing as stated previously, change the full synthetic oil to standard Yamaha or Rotella and see if that takes care of it. Its a cheap and not too labor intensive place to start.

Back