Vacuum pump to much?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I used a hvac vacuum pump to pull brake fluid through my clutch system. I primed a close to dry system in a few minutes. But now my slave is leaking.

Did I fry the seals in the slave pulling to much vacuum?

I found the system almost dry with the master locked up. Guess it must have leaked out the slave.

One positive note.. I pulled the clutch in and shifted into gear after sitting 20 some years with no problem. She wants to go.. :punk:Yamaha!

Did you rebuild the slave? .

No.

I bought a used master which seems fine. Guess its time to rebuild the slave.

Is it safe using a hvac pump on this application?

I made a collection jar on my vacuum system so the oil would not reach the pump. Well.. The jar imploded with a bang and sent oil flying. :biglaugh: It pulls close to 30 inches vacuum. Next collection jar was glass with a bucket over it.:coolgleamA:

Ouch ! I would just use a hand-held pump. 18 inches should be plenty. 30 sounds dangerous. I have a used slave cylinder you can have if you need it.

Yea I prolly pulled the seals inside out..:bang head: Next time I can create a leak maybe.:confused2:

Hey I cant pass that up. You got a pm richwrench.

Free is free! Take it!

They do make rebuild kits as well and they're pretty simplistic devices so easy to rebuild.

Spend 30-40 bucks and get yourself a proper vacuum at Auto-Zone. (Mity-Vac)

Chris

You are talkin' serious vacuum here!! Yeah, that could easily make a dif.

I use a mity-vac, teflon tape the bleeder screw threads and only pump enough to get the fluid moving and keep it moving untill the system fills.

Just did my whole system. The Mity-Vac is the way to go. An HVAC vac pump is probably way more than you need. You are not trying to evacuate the system and boil off any water, just get new fluid in and air out.

Now if you want to fill your clutch line with a fresh charge of R404A, go right ahead:rofl_200:

yea autzone has the mityvac's with the pressure gagues on them for the same price i got mine from BB without the gauge. i think they also have a 'autozone' brand and its all metal, which i would have probably gotten in retrospect. harbor freight actually had the 'mityvac' brand ones too last time i was there, but don't think the prices were all that different than anywhere else.

I have pulled that much on the mityvac prior to opening the valve. Sounds like the bike has been sitting and just needs some clean up work.
Sean

I have pulled that much on the mityvac prior to opening the valve. Sounds like the bike has been sitting and just needs some clean up work.
Sean

That tells me I didnt damage it with to much vacuum. The collection jar I made had tons of leak spots. plastic lid didnt even fit with brass nipples poked through.

I will add a adjustable leak point and maybe a gauge port case Im low on charge lol.

Remember that brake fluid is a better paint stripper than paint stripper is... lol

Clean off any brake fluid ASAP or else...

Chris

Back