Valve clearance.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Is the tool called for in the manual for depressing the valves while setting valve clearance absolutely needed or is there a way to "poor boy" this job?

Also; are the clearances called out in the book good ones?

Any other advice would be appreciatted also. I've never done the valves on this bike before, but used to do my old V65 TOO frequently:bang head: It had rocker arms and mechanical adjustment on the rocker tips like a solid lift SBC. never dealt with the whole Shim/Bucket thing.

Thanks,

Rusty

Rusty,

Did my valve clearances last year and that tool is damn nice to have!! You can get one from Yamaha fairly reasonably priced, think it was only $16.50 Cdn or something fairly close to that so should be much cheaper for you in the US. Used the manual for putting in the proper spacers and worked out quite well. Will be doing my own again over the winter once the new engine needs it done.

Rusty, the tool is necessary. I got it from University for $30. The tool depresses the valve bucket. This gives you clearance to remove the shim.

I have some notes at home I can email you.

I ensure each intake clearance is the same and do the same for the exhaust valves. I shoot for .004 inch intake clearance and .011 inches for exhaust.

Make sure you have a good pick tool to remove the shims and also an automotive pickup magnet to make it easy to remove the shims.

You'll need a 32 mm socket to turn the crank from the left side. Just remove the two allen screws holding the inner crankcase cover on.

Drain coolant and remove radiator mounts and let it hand forward. Also remove both top heat shields and loosen the vboost cable going into the servo motor. There's one screw holding that on. Remove both side plastic heat shields and remove coolant manifold mounts. Remove both hoses going into the engine and pull manifold forward and out of the way.

Remove spark plugs and use a screwdriver to ensure piston is at TDC. I don't bother with the markings on the flywheel because mine weren't there. :)

When removing valve covers evenly loosen the top bolts. Inspect the rubber washers for wear and replace if starting to crack or get hard. (Huh-huh). Easier to replace now before they start leaking.

Stick rag down cam chain tunnel to avoid dropping anything down in there.

I recommend drawing diagram of valves on a piece of papers. For each valve 'X' put clearance, current shim, and desired shim. This will make it easier to swap shims between valves and exchanging shims at the Yamaha shop.

Make sure you measure the thickness of each shim with a digital caliper. Sometimes the thickness labeled on the shim is incorrect.

When reinstalling the shims make sure the marking is facing down in the bucket. Otherwise the cam lobe will wear it off.

I have a couple of emails at home saved off that will help you determine exact shim needed.

I will try to attach the form I made up to keep track of the valve adjustment. Have made one of these for each bike I have owned that used shims, even my CBX.

Attachments

• Vmax Valve Adj Sheet - GIF.jpg
    Vmax Valve Adj Sheet - GIF.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 62
I wanted the attachment to be printable in a full page size so anyone that wanted could print it for their use. How can I do that? Had to resize to the small size and I don't think it is printable in the current configuration.

When I did my valve job I used a 13/16 Spark plug socket I had laying around and took the dremel and cut slots in it so I could access the keepers. I than went to my local autoparts stored and borrowed a valve spring compressor tool.

No thats the PO BOY way and it worked.
Total cost a ride to the autoparts store.
One 13/16 Spark plug socket which had no use anyway.
:banana:

I wanted the attachment to be printable in a full page size so anyone that wanted could print it for their use. How can I do that? Had to resize to the small size and I don't think it is printable in the current configuration.

Zip the file up with WinZip and then upload the attachment like that.

I have found that using a turkey baster works real good to get the oil out from the cam/valve chamber useful. Makes for a cleaner job. Dave

Not to hijack the thread, but where are you folks finding that valve adjust tool? I can't find one for less than $60, can't find any used ones at all.

I have the yamaha part number...is there another part number I can search for?

Call Cary McCoy at Mondak. Contact info is on the VMF links page. I got it for $30 a few years ago. Make sure you ask for the Vmax discount.

I probably have a spare. If you wanted to borrow my shimming kit and tool I may be talked into it.

Sean

Hey thanks guys,
I have to beg enough for help from you folks' experience already without bumming tools too. It takes time to type up information for somebody who doesn't know the particulars of a certain bike yet, I know, and I appreciate it. Trust me, every word from somebody who knows better than me is heeded!

Mondak has already ordered the tool and I got a good price, but it IS coming up at $55 list price. He charged me $30 plus reasonable shipping.

Could someone tell me about the shims, I understand about the different thicknesses, but what diameter will I use? Will I be looking at a standard Yamaha shim kit, or the Vmax/Venture kit, or do I figure out what I need and go trade/buy shims then?

Is this a job I can figure on doing in a day, with decent tools (OK they're Craftsman, that's the best I can do) and entirely too much experience on my Kawasaki's 16 valves? The Kawasaki takes an hour or so but taking off the plastics/coils/valve cover makes it an all-day job.

Vmax shims are 25 mm in diameter. FOr first time I'd allow a weekend. Most of my time was running to swap shims with a dealer.

I probably have a spare. If you wanted to borrow my shimming kit and tool I may be talked into it.

Sean

I have to put the V8 and tranny back into the Crown Vic first, and then I'm off to the UK for most of February, but after that I would very much like to talk ya into letting me borrow the tool and kit if possible. :worthy:

At 42k miles I think Maxine is most definitely begging me to check her valves..

I just purchased a valve shim tool (just to have for myself) and the local Yama dealer basically said they doubled in price since the first of the year. They now retail for $42.90 but I got mine for just under $37 with my discount:surprise:

Anyway, the package it came from had K&L Supply on it with the number 35-3462 on it. The tool itself has -04105 stamped on it. I can get more for others if needed. Don't know if this really helps anyone, but I thought I would share.

Jeff

I feel really stupid asking this but how are the cylinders numbered when sitting on bike?I cant seem to find it in the manual.#1 left rear?Thanks,Chad
________
cheap easy vape vaporizer

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back