Valve Noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramalama

Reaction score
Before I go too far, this is my first post here so.....Hello to everyone. Hopefully I am posting this in the correct thread, if not, just let me know. I picked up a 93 Vmax with 15k miles on it about a month ago. I have noticed that there is a bit of valve noise. It's not very loud but it is just a very light ticking at idle. I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about because I'm not very familiar with these bikes yet so I thought I would get some opinions from those who know more than me. So far all I have been able to turn up with research is that these engines tend to be a bit noisy so I'm assuming that is in reference to the valve train.

Thanks in advance.

At 15,000 miles, you are likely hearing normal amounts of noise. I have an 89 with 32,000 miles on it. Makes a lot of noise, I'll eventually check the valve adjustment. Mine is overdue. Yours is not there yet unless it's had something drastic happen to it.. 25,000 I believe is the first scheduled check...

Welcome to the Forum too...:biglaugh:

Dave

Welcome to the collective, Without hearing it I'm thinking you could have some loose carb chains. :biglaugh:

On a more serious note, these aren't the quietest of engines. I have a little bit of chatter on my '07

get a video and then we can listen better!

Welcome to the collective, Without hearing it I'm thinking you could have some loose carb chains. :biglaugh:

On a more serious note, these aren't the quietest of engines. I have a little bit of chatter on my '07

Hmmm, yes, those carb chains are connected to the wobulator shaft, right? :rofl_200:

From what everyone has said, it sounds like what I'm hearing is pretty normal so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just wait until I get to the regular interval and check them.....It won't take me long.

Thanks for the info fellas!

Once the Mod Monkey bites you into getting a new full exhaust system you won't hear any engine noise :biglaugh:

You didn't mention a miss in the engine, but if there is, one of your plug caps could be jumping fire to the base of plug or side of engine. Most people park in a dark area and look for this, it will be evident if that is the case. An exhaust leak at one of the header pipes will sometimes make a ticking noise also. A video will cetainly get you a lot of more exact diagnostics here on the forum, members on here love a challenge and are very helpful to others.

Last edited:
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If so, what kind of pressure are you running at idle? Does the tick go away when off idle?
Before I go too far, this is my first post here so.....Hello to everyone. Hopefully I am posting this in the correct thread, if not, just let me know. I picked up a 93 Vmax with 15k miles on it about a month ago. I have noticed that there is a bit of valve noise. It's not very loud but it is just a very light ticking at idle. I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about because I'm not very familiar with these bikes yet so I thought I would get some opinions from those who know more than me. So far all I have been able to turn up with research is that these engines tend to be a bit noisy so I'm assuming that is in reference to the valve train.

Thanks in advance.

Much less engine noise when you ditch the stock exhaust. Welcome.
Steve-o

Already have a Kerker 4-2-1. Not sure what can is on it b/c it was there when I bought it. All I know is that it's really frickin loud.

06VMAXIMUS - I don't have an oil pressure gauge at the moment but I have one on order from cycleoneoff that should be showing up any day now.

I put a couple of pics and listed some mods in the Garage if anyone is interested.

If the mod monkey bites, be sure to do the roller rubber cam and rubber domed piston mods. You'll never have engine noise again. Well worth the money and effort. And the HP gains can't even be measured on a normal dyno.

If the mod monkey bites, be sure to do the roller rubber cam and rubber domed piston mods. You'll never have engine noise again. Well worth the money and effort. And the HP gains can't even be measured on a normal dyno.

I'll be sure to get right on that. :biglaugh:

Seriously, Can you do a video. Even if you can't post it on You Tube, You can PM me for an E-Mail Address. I'd really like to compare your noise to my 89...

Dave

Seriously, Can you do a video. Even if you can't post it on You Tube, You can PM me for an E-Mail Address. I'd really like to compare your noise to my 89...

Dave

Sure, I can do a video. Won't be able to do it til tomorrow though...don't want to piss of the neighbors.

Something else I just noticed tonight. When the bike is cold I don't hear the ticking. It's not until it's been ridden some and it's good and warm that I can hear it. The only thing I can think of that would do that is if the oil is still cool and thick enough that it's padding things a bit and not ticking. Then when the oil warms up and thins out it starts. Either way, I'm not too worried about it.

Ok SpecOps13, here's a link to the video I made tonight. The really obvious noise that you hear is not what I'm talking about. That noise is the slides on the carbs. You can hear the ticking best when I have the camera on the left side of the engine and its not very loud so you have to listen closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc2WWW5Ul8

hmmm. hard to tell from the vid, have you checked the valve clearances?

Check the carb sync. It could be as simple as that or could be wrist pin noise. We've even seen loose starter clutch bolts do a similar noise.

Sean

is the ticking sound that you are complaining about, the one after you rev it that last time. the ticking sound that is sort of rhythmic with the engine pulse? i by far ain't gonna be of help as far as prescribing a remedy, but i think my bike may be suffering the same. I do have loose starter clutch bolts just as Sean suggested. I'll be fixing this soon. I'll be sure to post the result of whether or not tightening the bolts alleviated the ticking sound.

Latest posts

Back