Water pump question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warbeast

Reaction score
So I have this vibration noise around 3000 rpm's when accellerating and between 3000 and 2500 when decellerating. I traced it down to what I think it may be. The water pump cover. In the picture, something seems to have happened to 16, 15, and 14, because number 17 is loose on one side of it and I can push it into 10a little bit. How would I go about fixing this? How would I get the snap ring out (15)? All the parts are less than $20 for everything as long as all I need is 14,15,and 16.

Thanks for any help.

Thad

Attachments

• waterpump.JPG
    waterpump.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
To get to the snap ring you have to drill out the outer insert (part 17) and detroy it. I would say to get a complete cover if you really think it needs replaced. The insert and 14-16 could all be removed and the cover still not leak. That insert and rubber internals are supposed to help quite the waterpump. They way it's all put together I would say they are hard pressed to have any movement issues. I have only taken that cover off a couple of times. RagingMain has a custom chromed setup we did for him where I chromed the center with regular chrome and the outer with black chrome. Turned out pretty nice but getting the parts back together was a bitch.

Someone took a grease gun last year and drilled a hole in from the backside and installed a zirk. Then he used hydralic leverage to get the center out (he wanted to chrome the cover and unless you know the trick, the center turns out like crap since there is a very poor electrical contact between it and the outer cover). I don't know if either part survived.

Sean

Thanks for the quick response Sean, Do you know if I go to a dealer and order part number 10 if it will come with the rest of it already in there? What would be my best route of finding a complete cover for a reasonable price?

Thad

I seriously dought it will come complete. Yamaha just doesn't make them that way. You're other option that may work (I use this part of this method when chroming) is to drill a couple of holes on the back side (drill in the raised ribs) then fill it with silicon and let it setup. It should re-insulate the cover at that point.

Sean

I feel like an idiot now. After thinking about it, when the engine is warm, the rubber will be more pliable. This would allow me to push it in very slightly. At this point I don't think it is the water pump cover but thanks for the help. I am gonna try narrowing it down some more to figure out what is causing the buzzing sound.

It will flex even when cold. The left rear middle gear cover is made the same way.

Sean

Back