Water Pump?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Got back from a short ride yesterday and noticed a small drip of green antifreeze coming out of a small hold under the water pump. I understand in most cars this is a drain hole indicator which means the water pump bearing are starting to wear out causing the seal to leak. This bike only has a little over 6k miles, which seems pretty premature for water pump life.

Any feedback on troubleshooting this issue is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMGP0435.JPG
    IMGP0435.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 48
Correct, it's a weep hole and indicates it's time to replace seals. Might as well replace elbow o-rings, drain cock o-ring, bearing and impeller too.

Is this something that is pretty easy to do you're self and is there a kit that includes all the above items. If not where is the best place to purchase everything needed?

Also is there any step-by-step instructions as well?

i would take a look at a haynes or clymer manual and ask morley for the parts needed.

It's very easy to do. Took me about an hour. I believe you need to drain oil too but can't remember. You might get away by using sidestand.

On the sidestand will let it not need oil drained. Likely you can reuse the impeller. New mechanical seal set plus the other o-rings. I have it all on hand (not the impeller).

Sean

Had the same issue a couple times with other bikes. I had mixed results on the impeller. One time it was reusable, one time it was not.

When you remove the impeller inspect the shaft for grooves where the seals contact it. If you have any grooves you need to replace it. If no grooves it should be good to go. With only 6K miles on the bike I would think its OK.

Attachments

• Water Pump.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 15
Clean the area up and rode several miles today and no more signs of coolant dripping; could this be a condensation issue:ummm:

Doubt it. Condensation isn't green. But if its stopped, it might be that the seal "seated" itself. Keep an eye on it. My 06 has a small drip at the elbow every Spring, but it disappears and never returns.

Anyone take the small center section out of the water pump cover? Is there a secret? It seems to be held in place by o-rings and be cosmetic only. Thanks for any info.
Steve

Back