Wayyyy Too Much Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalinin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and just picked up a '97 max (15k miles). Coming from a 3rd gen Honda Magna, I must say this bike is f$%#ing awesome. Can't imagine a bike with more bang for the buck (got it for $3.5K). In a few years I will definitely get me a gen 2!

So I pulled a stupid and decided to listen to one of the bike shop techs around here when my buddy and I were returning with the bike and dropped by the local shop. I wanted to change the oil just as a precaution on a used bike and didn't have a manual for the bike. Guy at counter told us 6 QUARTS (and it looked like it could fit a full 8 heh). We thought it was too much but figured they knew their stuff and when I was changing the oil I got a very upsetting phone call which made me neglect to check the oil window of the bike.

After about a 25ish mile ride at 70mph I hear a soft, barely audible 'tha-thunk-thunk-thunk' noise coming from the engine, along with a bunch of white smoke as the excess oil was purged from the system. Now I heard the (what I'll assume to be) engine knock for about maybe 5 minutes at most (yet no performance drop) as I got off the highway and I can confirm I saw oil bubbles in the oil window so aeration did occur; the oil light never came on. The airbox has some oil in it and the filter looks fairly black and oily to the touch. I drained the oil to the recommended 3.5-4qts and it runs great now (rode 100 miles since the issue) as when I test drove it. It doesn't seem like its leaking more oil...

Questions:
1) Is ~5ish minutes of light knock in my situation enough to have caused serious damage to this engine?
2) Where is the crank purge hose? I want to check if the end is oily to make sure the oil was indeed purged properly.
3) Should I get a new filter or can this one be washed? It's not a paper filter.

I love this bike, especially for the price (was looking at warriors first but fell in love with the max, and it's much cheaper). I cannot believe I overlooked such a basic maintenance item and on a new bike...just kills me :bang head:

Thank you guys!

1) If it sounds OK now then probably no damage has occurred.
2)The breather hose comes out the top of the pencil box shaped doofa located in the centre of the V and connects to the base of the air box.
3) You could try washing it but if it were mine I'd replace.

The other thing that perhaps you should invest in is a workshop manual?

1) If it sounds OK now then probably no damage has occurred.
2)The breather hose comes out the top of the pencil box shaped doofa located in the centre of the V and connects to the base of the air box.
3) You could try washing it but if it were mine I'd replace.

The other thing that perhaps you should invest in is a workshop manual?

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

To clarify, Midnight is referring to washing out/replacing the AIR FILTER. Too much oil can sometimes be as bad as too little. I'd clean the airbox, replace the air filter and spark plugs, then drive over to the guys house that told you to put 6 quarts in it and kick him in the nuts! Welcome to the VMF!

Thank you all! I appreciate your help and now I can sleep better lol...btw would anyone know of a substitute tool kit that I could fit in the max? My current one doesn't have it.

To clarify, Midnight is referring to washing out/replacing the AIR FILTER. Too much oil can sometimes be as bad as too little. I'd clean the airbox, replace the air filter and spark plugs, then drive over to the guys house that told you to put 6 quarts in it and kick him in the nuts! Welcome to the VMF!

+1 on all accounts. Infact i don't know of any bike (altho i'm sure they exist) that take 6 quarts!? i thought 4 was the standard. even 4 is too much for a vmax for a typical oil change.

K&Ns are nice. i'm sure morley can hook you up.

Thank you all! I appreciate your help and now I can sleep better lol...btw would anyone know of a substitute tool kit that I could fit in the max? My current one doesn't have it.

make your own. the only took worth anything in the tool kit is the 27mm wrench.

people sell them used all the time though, maybe worth a wtb thread. & check ebay.

Make your own toolkit. Find a small canvas pouch and get a basic small metric wrench kit , maybe a leatherman all purpose tool , the 27mm wrench , plug wrench , a really good carb matching screwdriver , and add what you need as you go.

You sure you don't already have a K&N in there......if its not paper...it probably is.

+1 on all accounts. Infact i don't know of any bike (altho i'm sure they exist) that take 6 quarts!? I thought 4 was the standard. Even 4 is too much for a vmax for a typical oil change.

k&ns are nice. I'm sure morley can hook you up.

Make your own. The only took worth anything in the tool kit is the 27mm wrench.

People sell them used all the time though, maybe worth a wtb thread. & check ebay.

ohhh boy .......don't let coprunner hear that

yea I've been looking on ebay for tool kits for the max (if only for that little tool you need to adjust the steering head), but I think i'll get a metric kit or take the one from my magna...girlfriend wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow haha. Yea it probably is a k&n but I haven't had a chance to look at it. I am just so damn relieved I tried the max before the warrior....saved me $3K. Thought it would be too much bike for me (my 2nd bike, started riding mid 2012), but after pulling an accidental small wheel in 1st gear I have learned to lean forward when gunning it lol.

yea I've been looking on ebay for tool kits for the max (if only for that little tool you need to adjust the steering head), but I think i'll get a metric kit or take the one from my magna...girlfriend wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow haha. Yea it probably is a k&n but I haven't had a chance to look at it. I am just so damn relieved I tried the max before the warrior....saved me $3K. Thought it would be too much bike for me (my 2nd bike, started riding mid 2012), but after pulling an accidental small wheel in 1st gear I have learned to lean forward when gunning it lol.
If you want the spanner wrench for the steering head just PM Dingy on here, I'm sure he will have one to sell you.

I've got some OEM tool kits if desired. The spanner is not one of those tools (and as noted Dingy is the guy for that).

Sean

Usually for me 3.5 quarts or so would get it right to the full line with a typical oil and filter change. Add 3 quarts and new filter, briefly start it to fill the filter, then the last half a quart tops it back up to the full line.

If the engine was completely bone dry of oil it would take 4 but that never happens.

The oil light is bogus anyway, it's just a level sensor in the pan, NOT a pressure sensor.

Back