What can a machinist do to VMax heads for more power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so shaving the heads by 0.040 would create a problem with the valve seat if not mistaken,on my vmax heads 0.020 seem like too much might have a problem with the valve seats, so i'm guessing it's a better option to shave the block by 0.040mm to have no hassels

You can shave the block but the intakes and exhaust will also fit a little harder. You also run the risk of hitting the valve to the piston if you get too extreme. We've done the .040" and also a +2mm stroker crank. Both require a little thicker head gasket to keep them valve from hitting.

The piston sits down in the block about .050" from the OEM.

The better route is to get new pistons that bring that up higher as well as increased compression if you want more power.

Going back to your original question, As I have a mill, and a little bit of experience, I would deck the blocks (take off .020"), do a multi angle valve job (seat with would depend on if you are driving it on the street of just racing it), CC the heads, then take a small cut on the heads to make sure they were 100% flat (.010" at most). Frankly if I were doing it, I would go to the max overbore with out doing sleeves.

Sean's stroker crank would really make me think. I've done strokers before, and have had good luck, but every stroker I have done required one or the other of a shorter rod, or a special piston. On the motors I have built, strokers seem to give you a boost in torque and and big bore kits seem to boost HP. If I only had to do one, I would go with a stroker for the street and big bore for the strip.

Of course If it were really me, I'd be doing both. One of those things where the amount of money you spend to get there, might as well do it all at once.

You can do a +2mm stroke on the crank and use thick head gaskets. This gives almost 13:1 compression with the stock pistons and a slightly larger effective engine size.

Sean

Back