What did this shop do

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulsurfer52

Reaction score
Hello everyone i recently bought a 1985 Max and love it, when i got it it wouldn't hold an idle and would only run with the choke on, but aclerated fine. Doing some research on here i figured the carbs needed redone since the bike had been sitting for a while. I took it to a local shop they said they would be able to fix it, they replaced all of the insides on the carbs and seals and told me it was good to go. Well now it idles fine but it backfires constantly and hesitates some as well. I just picked it up yesterday and haven't called them back yet because i wanted to get some info from you guys first any info will help thanks.

Welcome to the VMF.

Mine is perfectly sync'd and it pops and back fires like all hell until it warms up. Then I can't get it to miss. Others have told me that this is a normal thing until warm. About 10 minutes worth.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading everyones post on here for a little while now before picking up the Max there's some great knowledge on here. I would be fine if that was the case but i rode it all night last night probably 75 miles or so and the thing back fired the whole time when i let off the gas.

does putting the choke on eliminate the issues? If so maybe your a/f screws just need 1/2 - 1 turn more each.

Id check the boots on the airbox to make sure the clamps are snug, can you check the sync on the carbs?

I also would check for air leaks first but would look downstream of the carbs.

Make sure they are well seated into the rubbers and that the advance unit pipe is attached/ not split/ pinched.
Also check the rubbers that go over the stubs used for balancing are in place and not damaged.

If you have any Easy Start, try pugging some around under the carbs and see if the revs rise.

Sounds like an air leak to me too.

Is your airbox OEM, or modified?
Stock pipes?
Mods?

More details please.

All that backfiring IS NOT NORMAL. Cold start stuttering and/or chuffing back up through the airbox might happen occasionally, depending upon throttle position, but all out backfiring is NOT NORMAL.

Hey I too live in Chesapeake. If you'd like, I have a carb sync tool and can give you a hand getting the carbs setup.

Latest posts

Back