What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing on the blue bike. Woke up early, so I took a nice hour long ride in 18deg weather. Better than a cup of coffee before work.

Building a data logger for the dragbike. Things it will log are; RPM, Rear wheel speed, Throttle position, G-force, and speeds at various time through the GPS feature. It will have a 6 axis accelerometer, SD card, GPS, Bluetooth and a touch screen interface.

I'm loving the Arduino, great starting point. I'll be using the 101 processing board.

Nothing on the blue bike. Woke up early, so I took a nice hour long ride in 18deg weather. Better than a cup of coffee before work.

Building a data logger for the dragbike. Things it will log are; RPM, Rear wheel speed, Throttle position, G-force, and speeds at various time through the GPS feature. It will have a 6 axis accelerometer, SD card, GPS, Bluetooth and a touch screen interface.

I'm loving the Arduino, great starting point. I'll be using the 101 processing board.

Can you please post when things are done? Ive been looking at the G-tech pro....but I dont know how accurate it would be? An accurate accelerometer can be used to calculate HP without a dyno.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331771543772?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Can you please post when things are done? Ive been looking at the G-tech pro....but I dont know how accurate it would be? An accurate accelerometer can be used to calculate HP without a dyno.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331771543772?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Will do, I'm planning on doing a complete write up, including the programming. I ordered pretty much everything needed for under $100.
Here is the foundation. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoard101 pretty decent for $30

Drag bike? I must be out of the loop. What kind of drag bike do you have KJ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm buying Sean's '85 Vmax Dragbike and going to go through it and KJ it up a little bit, this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20140506_154654_747.jpg
    IMG_20140506_154654_747.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Hilborn 2.jpg
    Hilborn 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 34
I see. Very cool!
IIRC Sean has had that one for awhile. Good to see it being brought back to life. I'm eager to see what kind of numbers it will run and also interested in your data logger. Keep us posted.

From what Ive seen, IF you know what your doing, you can get arduinos to do almost anything.

They seem to.
It started at work, on a lunch break I was looking at data loggers and the prices. A nurse I work with said, "just build one, you build everything else." and that's how it started. By the time lunch was over, the parts were ordered.

Check out what this guy did with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhln-OJPiK8

The link to the whole project is here

I see. Very cool!
IIRC Sean has had that one for awhile. Good to see it being brought back to life. I'm eager to see what kind of numbers it will run and also interested in your data logger. Keep us posted.

Will do.

I'm glad, I'll be the one ending up with it. :clapping:

Just spent a good few hours getting the cheesehead oil filter bolt out of my bike. I say getting it out, what i mean to say is murdering it. It was less than perfect at the start, by the time I had finished fighting with it it was more like a soggy nipple than a bolt head. So out with the dremel and a grinder. Wasnt bothered about killing the bowl or the bolt as I already had replacements ready. surprisingly, once the bolt was ground flat and the bowl removed (also a pain as now the crossbrace got in the way due to the majority of the bolt still being in situ) the remains of the damn filter bolt came out using only finger pressure. I still cant believe how lousy that bolt head is made.
I had considered fitting the spin on filter conversion, but I actually dislike seeing oil filters sticking out the front of the motor so went with exactreps ally bowl instead.

I also discovered while I was in there that the previous owner had neglected to fit the washer on the spring. Luckily also had a spare for that lying around. All in all a far longer (and more expensive) job than it should have been.

I can get on with giving the old girl a proper clean tomorrow now that little jobs out of the way. That and repaint the cross member.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Took a break and assembled the fairing, complete with a gold, howling wolf and dummy headlight for the dragbike.

Attachments

• Fairing.jpg
    Fairing.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 27
I did this.
Race%20tech%201.jpg

Race%20Tech%202.jpg

It was way harder than it had to be because they screwed up the eye insert spacers by 0.12mm...but whatever. An hour on the lathe and we were in business. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet, but the rear suspension actually moves now. :punk:

I made storage above my garage door on one side, to get bulky but lightweight things off the floor. It has 4'x 8' sheet goods up there, the Christmas nativity scene, and a box, along w/some aluminum rectangular stock and unistrut.

I also got a Kobalt 30" x 72" storage cabinet at Habitat for Humanity, less than 1/4 the price at your friendly Lowe's. It will be getting my VMax parts and some tools.
https://www.protoolreviews.com/tool...ts/10187/attachment/thin-cabinet-angled/#main

This will make room for my bike to be worked-upon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
I removed my newly refurbished carbs for the second time to strip down and figure out why the float valve was flooding my workshop with fuel. :ummm::bang head:

Latest posts

Back