What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're upgrading to a Shindengen R/R, there are 2 ways to go. Either go with a MOSFET unit, or a SH775 Series unit. Available from any Polaris dealer for about $80.00, or used from Powersports Nation for around $40. I have used series ones in both my Max, and Roadstar. Google "Series Voltage Regulators" for information or go to Roadster Cycles for info.

The Series and MOSFET Shindengen units are interchangeable, they use the same Furukawa connectors. They are roughly the same price, but the design and operation principle of the Series unit makes it much easier on your stator.

If you buy on EBay, beware.. There are many knock offs of genuine Shindengen units out there. They may work fine, but there are horror stories of 20volt charging surges from the knock offs.

Yesterday I lost the ONLY key to my vmax.

Today I called a "Locksmith Pro" and learned that they wanted to charge $150 to produce a key for the vmax when I already removed the lock cylinder for them. Its kinda weird because they're actually an all mobile locksmith with no central hub.

Anyway, I wanted to know how much it was first, and they were very reluctant to tell me. They wanted to dispatch someone to me first before telling me how much. Finally when I said it was outrageous for $150, they said it had to do with the electronics. I said my key didn't have electronics. Then they told me they meant their electronics.

They told me they would cut the key off of the gas cap, and that I didn't need to remove the ignition cylinder... now I've rekeyed bikes before for a government project where every bike used one key (not the best idea in my opinion but it is was it is) ... and I can tell you.
The ignition cylinder has more key pins in the tumbler than the gas cap.

Anyway.

Decided to call the local guy then who didn't even have a modern website. The old fart charged me $25 for 2 keys made. Said he could do it in his sleep. Probably did. His grandfather owned the store... and it was established in 1913.

New Keys are pretty tight but they work.

Very satisfied.

Yesterday I lost the ONLY key to my vmax.

Today I called a "Locksmith Pro" and learned that they wanted to charge $150 to produce a key for the vmax when I already removed the lock cylinder for them. Its kinda weird because they're actually an all mobile locksmith with no central hub.

Anyway, I wanted to know how much it was first, and they were very reluctant to tell me. They wanted to dispatch someone to me first before telling me how much. Finally when I said it was outrageous for $150, they said it had to do with the electronics. I said my key didn't have electronics. Then they told me they meant their electronics.

They told me they would cut the key off of the gas cap, and that I didn't need to remove the ignition cylinder... now I've rekeyed bikes before for a government project where every bike used one key (not the best idea in my opinion but it is was it is) ... and I can tell you.
The ignition cylinder has more key pins in the tumbler than the gas cap.

Anyway.

Decided to call the local guy then who didn't even have a modern website. The old fart charged me $25 for 2 keys made. Said he could do it in his sleep. Probably did. His grandfather owned the store... and it was established in 1913.

New Keys are pretty tight but they work.

Very satisfied.
Good to know. I bet after all that you end up finding your original key.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Have been doing some painting.
f936fc5981816d11dc1e4bc6c1ed587e.jpg
9de919186e479f3f62deb3a28e8565f9.jpg
0344749bbfe0e185800f2fbc401c5042.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI GRA-L09 met Tapatalk

Thats some bold paintwork for sure! Is it flouro yellow?

I fitted some Protaper bars , similar in spec to Seans superbike bars. I woul dhave bought from Sean but international freight is a bummer.

What a difference. I cant recommend it enough as a cheap mod. Its so much better, even wind blast is less. Love it!

I swapped the dyna 3000 ignition system to an Ignitech on the 86. The bike seems to like the increased timing down low pulling away from a stop light.

Did you go in and tweak the map or use the Vmax map? I like the Ignitak on the Venture and plan too pick one up for the Vmax too.

I'm running a Vmax map....its just been tweaked in a few spots. I like the Ignitech....its an amazing piece of equipment. I also have it running the Vboost, and have it set so the Vboost will start coming on at part throttle. Really makes it fun.

I'm running a Vmax map....its just been tweaked in a few spots. I like the Ignitech....its an amazing piece of equipment. I also have it running the Vboost, and have it set so the Vboost will start coming on at part throttle. Really makes it fun.

Isn't that interesting-The vboost coming on at part throttle.:clapping:

Weighed the bike in preparation for new rear shocks and the R1 front end install.

331 lbs at the rear and 285 at the front with about a half tank of gas. Won't mention weight with rider....

I used a shipping scale (440lb cap) and measured each me individually with me off the bike and gently holding the bike upright. I built a pad for the tire not being weighed that I leveled with the scale. Weighed one side then turned the bike around and weighed the other. It was important to make sure the tire was as centered as possible.

Nothing too spectacular, but I noticed front brake lever wasn't lighting up the brake light when I did the old MSF T-CLOCK check. Took all of 5 minutes to remove the switch, clean it reinstall it then washed all 3 bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back